Windscreen Pillars

harvs

Hi

I'm just thinking about fitting the windscreen today....

I've seen on the forum that many people have fitted trim around the windscreen pillars.

Is this required for the SVA? I've thought about doing this, but I think it would be a lot of effort for me, and I think it will look ok with the pillars just pained black...

Cheers

James

you will not pass without it. I just put some simple black rubber u shaped stuff around it (took it off afterwards). It also needs to be down the front edge not just the back.

For info You will also have to trim around the box sections which hold the wishbones (if you have 2b+) and also the coilover suspension as the zeemeride shocks have the huge nuts to adjust ride height which are too "sharp" the brackets onto the wishbones also fail as the sva man can get his ball thing into there. If you kept the seirras heating duct there should be 2 identical black tubes with a foot shaped peice on the end that fits over the shock and bracket quite nicely. if in doubt trim it!!!

the top nuts that hold the wishbone ball joint will also fail, i used squash balls which i cut and siliconed round the nut.

get a ball that is 100mm diameter and go round the car and touch everything if it can touch anything that is radiused less than 2.5mm that protrudes further than 5mm from the main bodywork it will need to be trimmed. The twin tube exhaust rear bracket needs to be cut a bit so it cannot be touched by the ball.

sorry i seem to have gone off the point a bit :)

You can pass without it but you will need to properly round over the edges. These are cut pretty rough anyway, so you will no doubt have already cleaned them up, but I would fit thin rubber tadpole beading - looks smart and will protect your bonnet from the sharp edges of the screen supports.

WindscreenSupport.jpg

You can pass without it but you will need to properly round over the edges. These are cut pretty rough anyway, so you will no doubt have already cleaned them up, but I would fit thin rubber tadpole beading - looks smart and will protect your bonnet from the sharp edges of the screen supports.

The SVA man in avonmouth failed my windscreen supports the first time as i had no trim on it. I would argue that it would be almost impossible to round them sufficiently to get a pass as 2 x 2.5mm radius would require a 5mm width (my supports are about 4mm) and a very steady hand to file a perfect curve :)

although different testers may be more picky, i had to add rubber around my alu filler cap that came with the kit as it was 6mm from the bodywork and they wouldn't pass it as it was "sharp" :huh:

as an aside if you are just putting the windscreen together consider using machine screws and tapping the holes into the windscreen rather than the tiny (and scary) little self tappers that RH supplied. 6mm hex head machine screws work well and must be soooooo much stronger than 3 tiny self tappers.

regards all

Thanks for your responses guys - you've persuaded me!

I've got some beading, but it's a little wide, and think it will 'buckle' a bit around the corners. So I'll have to get some thin stuff - I like what yours looks like enforcer!

I know woollies sells this kind of stuff - but the postage always looks expensive when you're just buying one or two things. Is there anywhere else I can try?

Cheers

James

Guest allenr03

Use their Titanfast edging (10mm PVC) and get more than you need because it will always come in useful!! Their aerosol adhesive is fantastic too (for sticking down the carpet)

Have a good think about what trims you may need, I placed about 5 orders with Woollies during my build. It you can think far enough in advance you can save yourself a few quid in delivery charges!