Painting The Aluminium Bodywork

Guest Guy

Hi,

I know it's a bit deep, but the following cut & paste, from a document I have lying around the deepest recesses of my work PC ref painting aluminium may help ;)

The main purpose of a primer coat is to provide adhesion to the metal surface. There are four main types of primers – synthetic, stoving, etch and epoxy – with wide variations within each type.

Synthetic and stoving primers are very similar, and are usually derived from resins and fatty acids. They are pigmented with chromates and produce a thick coating, but their resistance to fluids (brake/fuel) is not particularly good.

Etch primers contain resin, chromate, solvent, and phosphoric acid, and have very good adhesion on untreated sheet metals. Etch primers can often be applied directly to aluminium without any pre-treatment other than cleaning, but some sheet metals

possess a surface to which the adhesion of etch primers may be unsatisfactory; such surfaces should be given an etching pre-treatment prior to application of the etch primer.

Epoxy primers are twin-pack materials (i.e. the two ingredients must be mixed before use) and often consist of an amine cured epoxy resin, with strontium chromate as an inhibitor. They have a very good resistance to fluids and may also be used for stoving. They are generally used where maximum resistance to corrosion is required.

Cheers Nige

Hi Guy , this is what that paint supplier said (You will need a Etch Primer first, then perhaps a 2k high build primer afterwards to add protection and smooth out any imperfections )

hope this answers your question

Mike

Guest 2b_pablo
Hi Guy , this is what that paint supplier said (You will need a Etch Primer first, then perhaps a 2k high build primer afterwards to add protection and smooth out any imperfections )

hope this answers your question

Mike

I think you need to scuff the metal up with sandpaper to allow the paint to key to it. then etch rpimer, then highbuild to cover the scratches. sand that, then paint your colour/laquer as normal.

Thanks all,

Yes, I need to update the WWW site, it's mostly been wiring and all the odd fiddly bits.

I've found a supplier on EBay that does all the paint I need, primer, filler, and BRG B) I'm picking up the body panels today (1mm * 1.25m * 2.5m aluminium sheets :D ) so I hope to make some progress.