New Builder

Guest viking13

Guest viking13

i am new to kit cars so im on here for some advice. I am thinking of building a robin hood kit and was woundering which one people would reccomend for me. i would like a kit where i get nearly everything i need and dont have to use much off a donor car. so i would be greatful for the help

Hi Gav,

Firstly, Welcome to the Community! :hi:

I believe the most 'complete' kit is the Superspec.

If you're on more of a budget though, GBS have stocks of engines & gearboxes etc.

Another alternative (and probably the cheapest) is to get hold of a part-built kit - Like I did.

It's worth pointing out though that there's still numerous bits & bobs to acquire along the way, so you need to keep an eye on you total spend.

Guest chris brown
i am new to kit cars so im on here for some advice. I am thinking of building a robin hood kit and was woundering which one people would reccomend for me. i would like a kit where i get nearly everything i need and dont have to use much off a donor car. so i would be greatful for the help

I would also point out that a Robin Hood is not an easy car to build (for that read one of the hardest) having said that the new Zero 7 is supposed to be much easier but as there are not yet any on the road this has to be seen. As Grizzly says the cheapest way is to buy a part built but watch out there are some real horrors out there and regardless of how the owner describes it always assume that you will have to strip it down to basics and start again.

Guest viking13

thanks for the advice i will be needing lots more infuture.

enough headaches just desiding which kit to get. but ive got my heart set on the rh superspec.

have you got any idear what extras i would need after i have purchased the kit. besides a divocrce lawyer! :D

p.s good web site youve got.

hi and welcome

im not sure if the superspec is still avaialible, i dont think they are producing any of the tubular chassis any more, as previously said if you buy a part finnished be very carefull of the build quality, and be prepaired to strip it and start again .to ensure that it has been put together well.

regards graham

In support of Grahams comments, the best part built would be one that is rolling but has no panels fitted yet or at a stage where it would be easy to remove them. The wishbones on the 2b are fitted after the front panels, i think and you want to do all the pipe and electric runs before panels and trim.

A lot of people want to get the kit on 4 wheels and rolling so fit the suspension and have to fit some of the panels too early.

If you have to fit panels, do a temporary fit with self tappers or rivet nuts until the final fitting out.

You will be suprised how ofted you have to access the same area.

Oh and if you fit the scuttle for heaven sake cover it with bubble wrap, it soon becomes a convenient tool shelf.

Guest viking13

[thank for all the help guys. i would really like to start from scretch so i can learn more about the car and how it works. but if i dicide to get a part built one does anyone know the best place to look?

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure that they don't do any Super spec chassis any more (visited factory on Saturday)

If you are interested in looking at one and having a talk about the numerous problems, I work in Staveley and live near Alfreton. I finished my SS in 05 after a 12 month build.

I will be putting it away for the winter at the end of the month

John

yes you are right, the website is woefully out of date. they have loads going on including a site moval at the moment. I'm sure in good time they will get the site sorted, but it it is worth calling them for an update on what they provide. Note to GBS, get it sorted!