Fuel Gauge Upsidedown

itllbedonesoon

Good afternon all,

I have the RH supplied Fuel guage that came on the sender plate with an injection pump. I removed the pump (too much pressure) and I am using an external low pressure pump wired independant thru a relay and the inertia switch to feed the Carb on my Pinto.

Now i have wired the VG loom up to the fuel guage and it seems to be reading upside down, when i lift the float up the Sierra instuments read empty. When i lower the float to the bottom, the dash reads it as full. This will show how much i know of electrics and may make some people laugh, but i swapped the wires round and it had no effect what so ever, it still produced the same results.

There are only 2 wires in the guage and only 2 wires on the VG loom for the fuel gauge, any ideas anyone?

Guest Dee Jay
Good afternon all,

I have the RH supplied Fuel guage that came on the sender plate with an injection pump. I removed the pump (too much pressure) and I am using an external low pressure pump wired independant thru a relay and the inertia switch to feed the Carb on my Pinto.

Now i have wired the VG loom up to the fuel guage and it seems to be reading upside down, when i lift the float up the Sierra instuments read empty. When i lower the float to the bottom, the dash reads it as full. This will show how much i know of electrics and may make some people laugh, but i swapped the wires round and it had no effect what so ever, it still produced the same results.

There are only 2 wires in the guage and only 2 wires on the VG loom for the fuel gauge, any ideas anyone?

I had the same problem and I used original Sierra loom, so I changed the float arm to sort it out not a difficult job.

Dave

Good morning,

I took it appart and the float arm is bent into the resistor body forming a pivot that holds the whole lot together. If I tried to reverse the float arm it would not mate up with the pivot and the clips that hold the float arm on. It would require some intricate bending and doubling back that may have snapped the float arm.

I could not get the resistor scale thing out of the plastic case and was worried about melting the casing with a soldering iron.

In the end I removed the whole float & resistor unit, trimmed away the bracket with a stanley knife and re-clipped it into the metal bracket upside down.

Cheers for the advise, Just a few more bits to go now.

Hope fully I will get it moving soon.

Guest MJThewlis

I did as you did althoguh I dispensed with the pump completely in favour of just using the mechanical pump to draw fuel. One word of warning, the tank is full at about three quarters on the gauge!