Diff Wanted

Grizzly

Does anyone out there have a nice and quiet Diff sitting nice and quietly in their garage somewhere, that they'd care to let go to a good home. I've no idea how much these are second hand, but I guess they'd cost a fair amount to post!

Somewhere in North East England then would be preferable, for me to collect.

My Donor chassis plate says "Type D" if this helps?

TIA

Guest salty_monk

From memory I have a noisy 3.92 7", a quiet 3.62 7" (ex Big Jim) & a good 3.92 7.5" kicking around.

I could probably get someone to dig one out for you (or do it myself early next year) but it's the wrong end of the country......

Dan :)

Most standard Sierra diffs were 7" and that measurement is the crown wheel size, the Cosworths were 7 1/2" physicaly bigger so need the Cosworth diff carrier and have a 7 1/2" crown wheel.

Also there are push fit diffs, where the drive shafts push in and Lobro diffs where the shafts bolt on the Cosworth again had bigger bolt on flanges.

If your donor was a standard Sierra then you have a 7" diff

Guest chris brown

I have a 7" Lobro diff minus back plate which I think is a 3.92 in the back of the garage (not in the boot this time :p ) yours if you want it but transport is going to be a problem.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies. I understand this a lot better now.

By chance, I've managed to source a Diff on a replacement basis, so I'm still in the market for one.

I've rang GBS this morning as they're having a clear out.

They have quite a few. The guy there says they've been cleaned up (inside & out), re-filled with oil and are in OK condition.

I'm a bit reluctant though to shell out their £100 asking price (allthough they do say in their posting "No reasonable offers refused"). Is this a good price :unknw:

Guest salty_monk

DiffMedley.jpg

Easiest way to tell the difference from a distance is 7" has a thru top bolt with a nut on the end (the casing is open so you can see the bolt), the 7.5" have two short ones going into blind holes.

In pic left is 7" right is 7.5"

Dan

Hi All,

I think mines a std 7" and I'm guessing that it's a 3.92.

I'll take some pics and post them on here so you good chaps may be able to help me positively identify it.

I think I want to keep it all the same as I don't want to throw my speedo out really.

Robin, Do you know (presuming the above) if the one you have is a quiet one.

It's hard to tell I guess if they're not in a running vehicle???

Do you get up to the Durham meetings Robin? I'm planning on going up there at the end of the month.

Again, Thanks all.

Guest Robin Allison

All the diffs i have ran ok.

They are very hard wearing units. Any noise means they have been ran with low or no oil.

The 7" diffs i have are xr4x4 lsd 3.62 bolt on shafts

and one from a 1.8cvh Saff not sure of the ratio but it should be a 3.92 with the push in shafts.

Not been to the Durham meet but could pop along.

Guest salty_monk

1.8 is normally the 3.92.

To tell what yours is jack one wheel up & mark it & mark the prop flange. If 2 turns of the wheel look like 4 turns at the prop then it's a 3.92 if it looks like 3.5 then it's a 3.62.

What was the donor? 3.92's were in the 1.8's & the 2.0 injections only from memory. (Maybe all 2.0, can't remember now)

Dan

1990 2.0 litre Pinto (non-injection)

However, being as I bought this as a part built, I can't be 100% sure.

Pictures (and rotation counts) tonight.

Thanks very much for all your help guys. It really is appreciated.