Diff Wanted

Grizzly

Does anyone out there have a nice and quiet Diff sitting nice and quietly in their garage somewhere, that they'd care to let go to a good home. I've no idea how much these are second hand, but I guess they'd cost a fair amount to post!

Somewhere in North East England then would be preferable, for me to collect.

My Donor chassis plate says "Type D" if this helps?

TIA

Hi

I have a std sierra diff out of a 1989 and I live in hambleton nr selby, I have changed the diff because I have put a cossy engine and running gear in. Its yours for 40 quid. Dont know what ratio it is but your welcome to have alook.

Im only about 40 miles away.

Paul.

OK, I've checked this out now and here's the conclusions:

Two rotations of the road wheel gives almost four rotations on the prop - So it's a 3.92

From the pictures it looks like it has the push in half shafts. Through bolts top & bottom.

post-1241-1192134460_thumb.jpg post-1241-1192134492_thumb.jpg

I've jacked up each wheel in turn and let it fast idle in 4th gear. The noise is the same regardless of which wheel is off the ground.

What's more worrying is that there's about a quarter inch of slop if I turn the prop before the half shafts even think about turning.

I'm sure this probably isn't how Uncle Henry turned them out of the factory.

I therefore think the crown wheel & pinion have seen better days. Definitely suspect Diff then.

Dan's right. According the the manual if it's on carbs it should probably be a 3.62.

However, with it being a 1990, I suspect that it was probably on fuel injection at one time but reverted back to carbs.

Like I said, it's a bit of a hybrid.

Thanks for the offer Ragey, I'll bear you in mind.

Robin, if you can check if the one from the Saff is a 3.92 and your pretty sure it's a good one, I'd like to take you up on your offer.

Please let me know.

Thanks again, one and all.

Guest salty_monk

The slop your noticing is correct, they all do that. It's just the backlash.

Your noisy one is probably like my noisy one, it's been run with low or no oil & the teeth are burnt. If you take off the back casing you'll see some of the teeth are blue....

It's very unusual for the crown wheel or pinion to be in any sort of visible bad shape.

Dan :)

yeah, i was going to say, if you've got 1/4" backlash then that's nothing to worry about, you should see mine (not that it makes any noise, and i expect it to last forever)