Police Suspend Use Of All Laser Speed Guns

miikae

Interesting - no such instruction up here. Actually CENTREX have already issued guidelines with regard to margins by which officers can exceed speed limits based on their level of training. This came about in the aftermath of a certain highly publicised police-driving case and was part of the service's attempts to respond to the judicial criticism regarding a lack of policy and direction in this area.

Guest salty_monk

It's rare they use anything without a camera behind it now anyway... too much like hard work to actually pull someone over when you can take a picture & get the same affect.... :)

It's rare they use anything without a camera behind it now anyway... too much like hard work to actually pull someone over when you can take a picture & get the same affect.... :)

<_<

It's true that automatic enforcement methods far exceed individual officer enforcement, but you are wrong in your assumption that its is 'rare'. Certainly my force has Roads Policing Teams with a responsibility for mobile patrol. In addition to this my ARV officers also have a role to play in roads policing and regularly undertake speed enforcement. (Happily I work in an area where there are not that many firearms incidents). Even Local Beat Officers are trained to use equipment to gather evidence in response to residents' complaints which tend to highlight specific local routes as dangerous.

As for it being "too much like hard work..." For a man who boast such an impressive and diverse list of businesses in his RHOCAR signature surely you understand the concept of efficient use of resources?

Guest timswait

I did hear (on here a few years ago) that the LASER guns could be quite unreliable with open wheel cars (like ours). The top of the wheel is traveling a 2x the speed of the car, so if the beam shines on that it reads twice as fast as you are actually going. Also longs bonnet flat screen (like ours) cars can give problems with forward facing RADAR, if the first reflection is off the windscreen and the second is off the nose it will think you have travelled a bonnet length further than you have, again over-reading. Not sure how true any of that is....

All of the laser based systems (and radar) rely on the signal being bounced back to the device (The LTI 20-20) for example has two lenses on the front - one for sending, one for receiving. The signal will not be reflected by the wheel; most are aimed at the front number plate

Guest STEVE OXON
All of the laser based systems (and radar) rely on the signal being bounced back to the device (The LTI 20-20) for example has two lenses on the front - one for sending, one for receiving. The signal will not be reflected by the wheel; most are aimed at the front number plate

must remember to adjust front number plate then..............

Why is it Rich that i see plenty of speed enforcement vans and patrol cars but in my area most people have now stopped wearing seatbelts and have phones permenantly to their ears.

The no seatbelt issue is worrying as it now manifests itself with mum dad and kids all not wearing them.

If they don't get stopped they won't worry.

Scares me riggid but my misses in a cold mater of fact ways says "don't let it worry you, more organ donations for the more deserving"

Guest salty_monk
<_<

It's true that automatic enforcement methods far exceed individual officer enforcement, but you are wrong in your assumption that its is 'rare'. Certainly my force has Roads Policing Teams with a responsibility for mobile patrol. In addition to this my ARV officers also have a role to play in roads policing and regularly undertake speed enforcement. (Happily I work in an area where there are not that many firearms incidents). Even Local Beat Officers are trained to use equipment to gather evidence in response to residents' complaints which tend to highlight specific local routes as dangerous.

As for it being "too much like hard work..." For a man who boast such an impressive and diverse list of businesses in his RHOCAR signature surely you understand the concept of efficient use of resources?

Sorry that was badly worded. What I should have said was living on the borders of Kent as I used to it was that in my experience it is very rare to see a Kent policeman with a laser so it won't make much difference to that area. I have no direct experience of your area so can't comment. Please don't take everything so personally. I'm usually 100% on the police's side, the real human police anyway!!

They tend to have the camera vans setup on the big open roads or on the bridges & there are lots of camera's on the A roads.

I occasionally saw them in the villages with a laser which I fully agree with BTW. That relates directly to your local routes comment.

As for efficient use of resources I once again fully agree, if we had the number of cops they seem to have out here we wouldn't need the camera's. (They use them only rarely on red lights here). As we don't have those resources we have to make do, I would much rather have someone chasing real criminals than sat behind a laser gun. Personally I'd rather pay for more cops than more camera's but I fully understand about revenue streams, budgets etc & why they go this route.

When I said "too much hard work" again it was bad phrasing. If I had said "due to the underfunding & understaffing of the police force they don't have time to" you would have performed cartwheels & agreed with me.... honestly, I meant the same thing.

Listening to my friends who are in the force I personally believe the red tape is a big problem, the processing times, paperwork etc seem like a huge waste of expensive resources to me. It almost seems akin to paying a manager's salary to have someone sat in reception answering a phone. That's the best comparison I can make to the business world. There is always a problem when profit is not there as a driver to force continual improvements. I see that in the schools & councils & NHS too. (I know people that work in all 3). That is where I would be looking to save time & expense. (Again I understand it's a long drawn out process to make any changes, that's a separate issue). From what I have seen it seems a lot quicker & more automated here but I don't have any direct experience & I hope I never do!!

Dan :)

P.s. All those businesses aren't mine, some belong to friends & family :)