Advice On Build

Guest crutch

Hey guys just thought i would pick your brains.

Half way through build at the moment. Building 2b with 2.8 v6 turbo.

My plan for the car is not to have an out and out track car but a fun car else I would have built a bike engined locost.

q1. screen or aero screen (dont fancy wearing helmet, would aero screen take enough wind away to stop you looking like you are perminanlty crying.) will not fit a screen before sva anyway.

q2 wipers or not, again may fancy doing a little touring so may be times could get caught out by rain. linked to screen question really.

q3. heater or no heater. Will there be enough heat off the engine (missus may complain of cold, dont want her not to go in it.)

q4. stereo or not. sound of the engine should be good enough but again if run across to germany for nurberg maybe a little music welcome. or i could just use ipod and some rear headrest speakers.

All of these may add weight but add comfort on a longer run. Engine will be circa 280bhp so will have enough pull even with weight.

let me know your thoughts, i am sure once you guys go on the road you all have changed your mind about things.

I would say 1, 2 and 3 are all linked. If you go with a screen, you need wipers and demister (heater+fan) for SVA. Personally, I couldn't imagine using a 2B without a screen, and I don't think they are that difficult to fit. My missus wouldn't go in the hood without a screen, no chance.

You should get plenty of heat off the engine- I've got a heater but it is only ever directed up!

Why would you want to listen to music when you could listen to your exhaust? I've only got a CB and I can't hear that over 2000rpm, so if you need music you probably will have to use earphones. Fitting anything 'unnecessary' like stereo/CB will make it much harder for you to pass SVA, so wait until after.

HTH,

Brian

they're all easy enough to fit post build, but i'd say add a screen and wipers. If you're on a trackday w/ helmet you can make the screen removable, like timswait does. If you add a heater get a good one like a vw polo one, as described on nw.rhocar.org

If I was doing it all again I'd go for...

1 - get SVA 1st without screen ( so no heater, wipers, windscreen scooshers required )

2 - fit easily removable screen with some sort of quick fit catches ( dzus? )

3 - Add fittings for a 'surrey' soft top

4 - don't bother with a heater

5 - probably wouldn't bother with wipers - only fitted mine for MOT, drove it for a year before that and with a good polish with rain repellent stuff it was better than with the wipers!

6 - think a stereo would be a waste - you won't hear it

:D

A thought about heat in general, with a mighty V6 and Turbo's you will be generating big big heat levels and this will pose problems getting rid of it both inside the engine and inside the engine bay.

You will need a big triple core radiator, probably an intercooler of some sort and an oil cooler.

If this lot does not keep it all in range then a heater gives you an extra radiator.

Hi,

just thought i'd say that i didn't have much problem passing with a windscreen on. only had to add extra rubber to the supports as they aren't rounded enough. as for a heater/demister i made mine by boxing in the seirra matrix and using half of the sierra fan unit (which is still pretty powerful). hope that helps.