Rear Spring Top Mounts - How To?

Guest Jason

Hi all, I need some advice.

I am building a Sub K and for the moment and for financial reasons I am keeping the stock rear suspension setup where the front McPherson strut goes up into the chassis to act as the top spring mount for the standard Sierra rear spring.

I can't find out how to secure the mount into the chassis. I have looked around the forum and watched the video carefully but all I can work out is that you drill straight through the chassis & the mount and put a nut and bolt through the 2. Is this ok? I'm not sure the SVA man would be happy with it..if this is the way is there any particular type of not and bolt that I need to use as there doesn't seem to be anything suitable with the kit and I don't really want it to break whilst the car is being driven :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help....its just that I'm not 100% happy with it and just want to check :D

Jay

What we did was, cut a long slot in the end of the chassis tube, and use a big exhaust clamp to clamp the upside down mcpherson inside the tube, aswell as that, once clamped - drill through both and put a M8/M10 bolt through.

That will stop anything moving. :) Ours has lasted 6Kmiles :)

Guest chris brown
but all I can work out is that you drill straight through the chassis & the mount and put a nut and bolt through the 2. Is this ok?

Jay

Thats how mine is and still ok after about 30k miles. use a 8.8 M10 or better bolt.

I turned up a spacer to space the spring seat flange away from the bottom of the roll bar.

When I was happy with the ride height, i then drilled through with a M8 8.8 bolt and nyloc.

Kieran :wacko:

Hi, if your SVA man is like mine then you HAVE to put a spacer inside the tube to prevent the tube collapsing when you tighten the bolt. I just tacked a piece of steel tubing inside so the bolt could pass through. I then took pictures so the SVA could see whithout having to dismantle. something like this post-984-1199104849_thumb.jpg you might as well do it anyway if it is all dismantled anyway. HTH