Intermittant Wipers

Grizzly

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest klaxon

Hi Steve

I also have the identical setup to yours and I concur with the others that your second diagram is correct.

Just a point that you should check here. The parking switch on Mini wipers is very prone to malfunction usually due to wear or corrosion. A replacement is about £8.00 from

S&J motors phone/fax 01257 262881

Email steven@derbyshire1010.fsworld.co.uk

Hi Roy,

I did have some problems with an iffy Park Switch during the build but GingerFix sorted it whilst he was here.

I'm about to remove the dash soon and get stuck into the Intermittent Relay job, amongst some other jobs whilst I'm at it.

As soon as I get this all working, I'll detail it on here (and on my website) for future reference.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me out on this. Happy New Year to one and all :hi:

OK, I must have some wires crossed somewhere, but this doesn't work.

I've wired it as per the diagram. This is what happens:

Fast - OK

Slow - OK

Stop - Wipers stop - I mean stop as soon as it's selected (No Park)

Int - Relay sounds like a buzzer! :(

I'm sure I've wired this up as suggested.

I'm going to double check right through from the stalks to the wiper plug.

Check the park circuit. All connections in this diagram must be made for the wipers to park. Ignition on, wipers part way across screen, column switch off. You can go round it with the multimeter to check lectric is going into the motor at pin 4(confirms park supply present), coming from the motor at pin 2(confirms park switch is ok), going into the column switch at B1(confirms wire OK), comes out of the column switch at 53(confirms col switch OK) and finally arrives at motor pin 5(confirms wire). Check the motor earth on pin 1 for the sake of completeness. If this is all OK then you have bolloxed the connections for the relay or have a faulty relay.

Nigel

No real need, Steve. The instros are just for the park circuit checking. Now it's parking OK you're back to intermittent circuit fault finding. I will try drawing up the circuit again to see if a different view of it gives any inspiration. The bit in the grey area disappears if it's a fixed intermittent relay.

Nigel

Guest robinj66

Nigel

Forgive me for a stupid question but (if you have no variable wipe speed) why doesn't pin 54 on the relay then go to pin 54 on the switch?

PS I'm a bit worried that I may have inadvertantly sent Grizz a duff relay - how do you check that this type of relay is working OK?

54 pin on the relay is for the switching current. ie tells the relay when the driver wants it to do its thing. Set by driver on column switch. 54 on column switch is ignition live into switch, 53-2 is where this outputs from the switch when it is in the intermittent position.

P pin is a control current. ie tells the relay what delay the driver wants. Supply from variable rheostat.

The wiper is jolted into a park cycle each time the relay gives it a pulse.

Nigel

I have just noticed I haven't put the column switch to any setting so have added the switch position below.

54 on the switch is live all the time the ignition is on. If you connect it to 54 on the relay it would put wipers on intermittent all the time the ignition is on, not just when you switch it.

I've just lashed this up again as per the attached diagram (which I'm sure matches what you've suggested).

Still no Joy - Pops the fuse and when on intermittent, makes the relay buzz. Wipers continue to work on slow and fast though (just no park once fuse has gone).

I wait until I get the dash out to check the wiring from end to end. I don't want to break the relay by keeping on trying.

I wonder if I could test the wiring before attaching the relay again next time :unknw:

Anyway, here's my diagram for now. Thanks for your perseverance Guys.

post-1241-1200260976_thumb.jpg

When does the park supply fuse blow? Switching on slow or fast or intermittent, switching off those, during intermittent, during parking, at the start or end of parking?

Can you check the wires that connect the B1's (31B1, 31B, B1) do not have an earthing fault on them. ? wire in a temporary link between the three and disconnect the old link.

Otherwise I would suspect a short in the motor activated park switch. You could always try another relay but I don't think it's that.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I'll lash it up again tonight and let you know exactly at what stage it pops the fuse.

I'm begining to think there's a fault either in the VG Loom or something to do with how I've incorporated the wiper circuitry into it. As soon as I get the dash out, I'm contemplating trying to wire the wipers up OUTSIDE of the VG loom.

Stand by and thanks for helping (again). Don't you ever sleep? :)