New Lightweight Owner

Guest DoLittle52

Thanks Graham: Also thanks for the pic. I'm not dissuaded. I knew this was the most difficult kit; but it's allowing me to get into the experience. Just amazing how disjointing the experience can be. Still need to get a photo inventory of missing parts which I am doing through all the stuff on this site. On a different not I e-mailed GBS to see if Coveland was still their rep here in the states only to have e-mail undeliverable??? Scott, Chuck et al; I'll pay for a set of good DVD's

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac

Sorry, my fault...i was supposed to run you off some dvd's a month ago. I'll try to get them out this week.

BTW, has anyone fitted the normal vicky-green loom to the lightweight? How well did it work? I'm just looking at wiring it up, and it looks like a pain in the ass. I got the diagram, which covers most of a good sized wall, and doesn't match the actual colors. Looks like you kinda gotta guess a bit, based on the patterns, and go from there!!!

hi scott

i have used 3 v/g looms ,generally the are ok but do take a bit of sorting out.

most probs seem to be the stalks and the way ford make their bits work .colours are also a pain .

not enough provision for fuses though, but i guess unless you have a bespoke loom made for your application there are always going to be issues .

by the way do you have any info on how i can make a set of gsx-r 1000 t/bodies work on another project i am into .

regards graham

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update from Kanab,Utah: Not much to report. Sent a snail mail to GBS on June 28th and an email today trying to get a cost on missing parts from the kit(along with a good sret of DVDs). I think I will have my new shop built before I get the full kit!! :D

Another update from Kanab Ut. Will start framing on the new shop today. I said I'd probably get the new shop done before I get the missing parts for the Lightweight! Anopther E mail to GBS and Kitparts to see if my June 28th letter arrived in GB yet. Still no response from any one.

Guest salty_monk

I don't think you'll get too much luck as your kit was bought from Coveland, I imagine part of the deal was they would handle any issues.....

Dan :)

Dan: Actually got an E-mail from Richard yesterday with cost of missing parts. Coveland is not their US distributor. There is progress!!

Edited by CDD

Guest BanderaBob
Now that I have a working rivet gun and the DVD instructions I am moving forward.

Hi, This is BanderaBob, I am the guy who bought the lightweight from Coveland, the one being built as their Demo.

I share your pain, as I have had a lot of trouble getting timely replies from Jim. I have another problem, in that while I got all of the (6 ea) videos frpom the kit, the last one was defective, and ends with the "flyscreen" assembly. I would be exteremly happy to have a copy of those instructions on DVD. It turns out that GBSC has them available at 50 lbs + shipping. That seems too much when the originals were defective, but there may be a way out of this with your help.

My car has the rebuilt MGB 1800 cc engine/trans and the rear end from a Merkur. The chassis is complete to the point where the fenders (wings) are to be fitted. Jim through in a pair of the clamshell wings with mine, as I was thinking they might look quite nice, but the Motorcycle unit are sure easier. I would love to contact you by phone sometime to commiserate about buying something started by someone else, with little guidence.

My email is bob.bratton@gotsky.com, and I live in the Hill country of Texas. I'd be happy to share experiences. Thanks,.BaderaBob.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DoLittle52

I called Bob tonight and talked for quite a while I am headed to Banderas, TX on 8/25 to see Bob's lightweight and to attend the first stateside Lightweight meet and Pulled Pork Cook.

I am going to the DVD place tomorrow if anyone wants the build DVD's ScottMac so graciously made for me. I will get two copies made one for Bob and one for the Utah lightweight.

Hi Chuck. Got your e-mail. A little short notice for a Texas trip. I am progressing on the insurance claim for the missing parts from Coveland. Let me know what the cost of the DVDs will be. Richard from GBS said kit should have been DVDs in the first place not VHS so Coveland pulled another quick little one.

Doug in Kanab from behind he Zion curtain