Sliding Pillar Blues

Guest Vince Jones

Guest Vince Jones

Hi guys....

Im new to the forum ... and im a newbie to the robin hood world!!!

I have a 2b kit (2001) that i have recently bought as part built... im trying to assemble the front sliding pillar susspention ( i know its not the best and wishbone is an option) but i wanbt to get it built and sva'd first as it is.

Now the prediciment im in is that the parts i have in the kit.. are different of that on the Video. Now i have built one side up using a bit of common sence and using the parts i have.. but it doesnt seem right for the following reasons:-

The top pillar mount doesnt sit square to the chrome pillar so when packed with washers as per the vid, it doesnt sit flush.

And the top spring plate (the one with the stud bar for the shock mount) isn't fixed in any way... so really there is nothing stopping it rotating and fouling on the tyre.

Does anyone have any pictures they could send me of there set up so i can adjust accordingly!!

Im in a right pickle and done know how else to tackle it.

email scoobyman2000@hotmail.co.uk if possible or reply on here

cheers guys

Regards

Vince

Guest salty_monk

This is what happens to the pillar cars when the springs go soft... this is 14" wheels.

Pics001.jpg Pics006-1.jpg

You may want to think about putting heavier springs & bigger bump stops on there now.... Personally I would put wishbones on it whilst you're at this stage.

This is the only pic I have with any sort of shot of the pillar.... can't see a lot from it.

DSCF0719.jpg

Dan :)

Guest Vince Jones

cheers for the reply!

I can see where the bottom nuts been rubbing.

Any chance you could take a couple of pics of the top and bottom washer / bearing assembly for me.... i just cant seem to get a happy medium!!

Ta

Vince

Guest salty_monk

Sorry Vince, I sold that one & my new one is wishbone. Even if I still had it we'd be in different countries right now... :D

There's plenty of others who have them, hopefully you'll get more pics & info soon. If you can weld, why not make up your own bones etc now... Lot less hassle in the long run, easier to assemble & dis-assemble (watch your fingers with those sliding pillars) & will last longer too. It took around 2,000 miles of use to get the wheels in the state you see in that pic. Maybe less, that was just when I looked as someone gave me a heads up.

If nothing else fit some harder springs & bigger bump stops.

lo vince

can prob sort you some photo's out over the weekend

the easy answer to salt'ys rubbing problems is to use 15 inch rims, mine have not rubbed after 3 years and 4 or 5 trackdays

the top shock mount will rotate untill its built

after that, the top of the spring and the shock will turn it in relation to the wheel

they do get close, but again mine havent fouled

depending on your wheel offset, you may need spacers to offset them

have you got te top hats tha came seperate ? these are designed to sit at the bottom of the shaft as an additional seat for the bottom

many have also cut off the small bottom bolt and drilled and tapped for a larger stud

sliding pillar isnt the best but it will wrok

dave

Hi Vince

I am also re-building a 2B with sliding Pillar front End.

I have some pictures as to my mod's that I have done but pictures to large to pin to this if you can PM me your e-mail address then I can send them to you.

Regards (maca)

Martin

Guest Vince Jones

Maca,

Cheers for the drawings.... i think i have those bits in the kit ( the top hat and the bottom washer) but im not sure exactly what order and where abouts everything goes to gether. The way i have it now.... the top spring mount (the welded stud bar on it) is fouling the chassis top tubing when at full lock.

Any actual photos of your actual set up... top and bottom and complete if poss??

Cheers for your hlep guys!!

Fed up of bloody fitting and removing spring compressors ... i know that much!!!

Vinny :p

Guest salty_monk
lo vince

can prob sort you some photo's out over the weekend

the easy answer to salt'ys rubbing problems is to use 15 inch rims, mine have not rubbed after 3 years and 4 or 5 trackdays

sliding pillar isnt the best but it will wrok

dave

There's no way a move to 15" wheels would have cured it on mine, they were fine at first but the first trackday caused the damage in the pic.

I tried it at one point with the same result.

Either your car is much lighter than mine was, your springs or bump stops are different or you just haven't been trying hard enough :lol:

The car actually handled quite nicely until the springs went soft but I also believe the long time reliability of the system is fairly doubtful too with no access to spare parts.

I honestly wouldn't recommend fitting them without at least a bigger bump stop & preferably a harder spring. You can also buy 30+mm spacers which bolt to the hub then the wheel bolts to them. They would move the wheel out of striking distance. A guy in Oz did it but it seems to increase leverage on the shock & he needed harder springs to compensate.

You also need to make sure the tapers match up otherwise you could fail SVA. Tricky's stick a drill in it & wiggle it isn't sufficient!