Have I Been Naughty

Guest craig030774

Guest craig030774

hi helped a so called mate at work out by letting him have my car without giving me any money as it was the middle of the month and he was going to pay at the end of the month

told him that he could pay a little over a few month period.

i sent the log book off in his name as i have worked with him for 18 years

however he has not paid any money to me and has being messing me about by saying he is coming and this and that but never turned up , he has chucked a sickie in at work to avoid me as well so went to his house today and he would not answer his phone or door so i jacked the front of the car up and removed the front wheels and put it securely on axle stands and chucked the wheels into my boot

the car is in a gated court yard so no danger to little kids he has been driving around with no tax on it so doubt if got any insurance

was tempted to report him but it is not in my nature and the thought that it may get crushed would still leave me out of pocket

he is supposed to be paying me later so will have to wait and see

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jabberwocky
Hi,would have done the same BUT is this not theft!!!

Would hate for you to get into trouble for it.

Andy

is it theft if it is still you car? :-s

Guest outtolunch
Log book been sent off in his name.Got to proof he hasn't paid for it i guess.

the cars logbook should have the name of the keeper in it who may not be the owner or the driver, many company cars are owned by lease companies and driven by an employee but the name in the logbook is the companies.

but like you say proof of non payment on a verbal agreement can be tricky but with witness statements, bank statements etc. should not be unsurmountable if it came to a small claims court

Guest a8dyc

I don't think i would have the wheels in my boot.Find somewhere else for them just in case.

I'm sure once he knows you mean business the cash will be delivered.

Good luck

Andy

Registered keeper on the log book has nothing to do with ownership of the vehicle. Unless you have signed up to a written agreement placing ownership in his name I can't see that you have done anything wrong.

Guest a8dyc
Registered keeper on the log book has nothing to do with ownership of the vehicle. Unless you have signed up to a written agreement placing ownership in his name I can't see that you have done anything wrong.

This man should know!!!!! :D

Guest robinj66

It's not theft unless you are acting "dishonestly".

As above - you may still be the owner as there has to be "consideration" for a contract to be legally binding. Consideration is normally (and in this case is) the price and if this hasn't been paid then the contract has not been completed.

Even if the contract were said to have been complete, I believe (but would have to check) that you are entitled to exercise a "lien" over his property (the wheels) until he has paid you the money he owes

:ph34r:

Guest craig030774

thanks for the advice guys he has had it for 7 weeks now ,and with it not being taxed or even possibly insured thought it was the best option.

still not heard from him :o

Guest Captain Daz

Craig

How about asking him for the money in front of someone at work. Then, when he says he's going to get it to you soon, you have an independant witness to the fact that he hasn't paid you.

Just a thought.

Good luck anyway.

Daren

Guest STEVE OXON

go round ,demand the keys,put wheels on and take it away............you dont need mates like that

just my opinion

some people have got a bl**dy nerve.

whilst the rest of us honest working blokes have all cars(3) taxed mot insured and road worthy .

sorry rant over.............