2l Pinto

Guest steve turpin

Guest steve turpin

:( After a mamoth 6 years in the making I am tested taxed and up & running, with a major oil leak at the front end. History as follows; Completely rebuilt engine with RS 200 sump, which I have just changed the gasket on to no avail. I would be suprised if the crank seal or auxilliory shaft seal are a problem as the cam belt is fine , not soiled.

The one thing that I do wonder about is the crank case breather as I seen to think that I have heard about problems in this area where twin 40 webers are fitted. I am running mine via an air box & have connected the breather into this but am not too sure that this is an effective set up in terms of venting the crank case ie no pressure. no oil leaks. In the mean time I dont think that the rear sub frame is going to rust.

Any suggestions or do I just bite the bullet and take off all the timing gear and replace the two seals & sumpmgasket again?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve Turpin.

Theres a non-return valve on the breather you need to remove, pull the breather pipe out and cut the end off the metal part that pushes in. I did this after my engine fitted with twin forties sprayed oil all over the place mostly from the top though. All I've done is vent to atmoshere through a small filter you could also fit a seperater tank if you wanted. I wouldn't put the breather into the front of the carbs you'll suck all that gunk through the carbs which could make a nice grinding paste, it should be connected after the carbs.

Also I've just fixed an oil leak on my car which I couldn't trace, oil was leaking low at the front, I found the fuel pump had worked loose.

Goodluck

Jez

Hi Guys,

the mechanical fuel pump is a real B****er for working loose.

I've replaced the lock washers & used threadlock to keep it done up tight.

Seems OK now.

Also, re the breather, agree, take out the 1 way valve,

then take the pipe up in an inverted U shape to vent into a catch

can at the bottom. The can will accumulate oil mist, very little actual oil.

Bob

Guest steve turpin

Thanks Gentlemen for the prompt response I will give it a go tomorrow evening. Sounds like a possible result to me.

Regards

Steve Turpin