Triumph Fuel Gauge

philshelton

now with triumph clocks in new dash and having found enough funds to fill the tank ( and top up the goverments coffers some more) i find that the gauge wont read full so guess when gauge says empty it aint. guage read fine on old sierra dash any ideas on how i can recalibrat the smiths gauge or do i need a different sender.

Hi Phil, mine's the other way round, reads full too early then is nearly empty at half full on the gauge (greengauges and original Sierra sender).

You either learn to live with it as I have or you can get the sender recalibrated. It costs about £40.

You may be abe to bend / change the pivot on the sender a bit to improve things but its a bit trial and error.

Take the sender out and see how much gauge movement you get for a full sweep of the float movement and that will give you some idea just how far out you are.

Andy

Guest Bazwaz

Phil

When i replaced my sender to enable me to use a Smiths gauge i bought a new sender unit similar to this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-tank-sender-MGB...1QQcmdZViewItem

This is designed for a side fitting on an MG but you can carefully bend the float arm round so it becomes a tank top fitting.

I got a cardboard box the same depth as my tank and adjusted it correctly before i fitted it. I had to make up a plate as it's smaller than the Sierra unit. You remembered that the Smiths instruments need a voltage regulator didn't you?.

Barry

FWIW here are some tank sender resistances not a full list of all though .

If anyone has some more please post them and will add to my list .

Empty Full All resistance reading approximate .

240 -- 33 ohm aftermarket gauges ISSPRO , STW etc US Standard

0 -- 90 AC type gauges (GM)

78 -- 10 FORD or Chrysler US

0 -- 30 OAC match ( old GM )

10 -- 180 VDO match responce ETB , European Standard

340 -- 30 Ford UK Sierra etc

260 -- 20 early Smiths , Some ETB , Ford 1982-1986 Sierra

Mike

Guest Ian & Carole

Phil

I as you know have the Smiths gauges, spent a little while bending the wire on the sender, made it show empty a litte early on purpose but it works fine.

Ian J