Changing The Colour Of The Grp Panels

Guest jwts

I bought my Super Spec off eBay and so couldn't easily choose the colour. I have a blue one but would have preferred a green one.

I was planning to build the car then remove the GRP and have it painted. I thought this would be better than having it painted first as it would probably get scratched during the build.

Another option would be to get another set of GRP panels. I don't know if this is possible or what it would cost?

Could I sell the panels I have (they are all unused)? Would RH/GBS do a swap plus some cash from me?

Has anyone done a colour change of the GRP? How did you do it?

Thanks in advance for any info or ideas.

Regards,

John (jwts).

hi a colour change is prime the panals and paint the colour you want .

down side is that the grp is coloured throughout and if you scratch the grp the colour is as was .

thats the good bit re the rhsc grp in that if you scratched it you could polish out the prob and still have the origonal colour.

regards graham

re the swap , speak to richard hall .

Guest salty_monk

Mine were blue, now black... no issues so far. I'd use a flexible or plastic primer if I was you. Surprisingly Halfords paint is of really high quality (or used to be...)

Dan :)

Hi,

I was in a similar situation.

1. My GRP was Red and I really wanted Green.

2. My Front Cycle Wings were the narrower of the two widths available and I wanted the wider ones.

I offered the GRP up For sale on this forum - Sold the lot.

I used this money to offset a replacement set, purchased from GBS.

In the end the cost was probably cheaper than getting the original GRP sprayed plus, I had the wider wings.

Red is always the worst colour for UVA/B fading.....mine went out whenevr it was sunny & went all B&Q in 3 years.

I just rubbed it down, sprayed with etch primer, then 2 coats of Ferrari Testarosso Red 2 pack.

Looks just like it did when I bought it.

BUT sticky Yoko 888s on the front have picked up all sorts of grit & sandblasted the rear wings badly alraedy after 3 months.

Now (a bit too late! ) looking at fitting mud flaps.

Bob

Mine were blue, now black... no issues so far. I'd use a flexible or plastic primer if I was you. Surprisingly Halfords paint is of really high quality (or used to be...)

Dan :)

Dan,

Did you spray yours with just cans? If so how many cans did it take? Did you flat the gloss coat down before priming/painting?

Regards,

John.

Don't know what the GRP is like now, or what colours fare better or worse, but my red panels are now almost orange and no longer match the red painted bits.

Geoff,

I believe red and blue fade most, green and yellow the least.

John.

Hi

I have a series 2 with full fibreglass rear wings .

Fitted cycle wings and with the orange nose cone and rear

wings a repaint was needed.

Repainted them using 3 small cans of aerosol.

swan