Headlight Wiring Problem

Tazzzzman1

Hi, :blink:

Having a little issue with working out the wiring for the head lights. Does any one have the correct wiring details for 87 Sierra switch stalks? I have managed to get Main beam and low beam working, but can not seem to get the flash to work. Probably something totally obvious...! I Spent 6 hrs today trying to get my head around it (should have been replacing a bathroom suite!) so if any one out there can point me in the right direction you may just save my marriage...

Cheers

Terry <_<

depends on the wiring system you are using.

I used the sierra loom, one head light earths to the chassis or battery as usual, on the other the side light earths normally but the dip and main return to the switch and earth thru there - I think the wire is blue and green but can't remember 100%

Steve

depends on the wiring system you are using.

I used the sierra loom, one head light earths to the chassis or battery as usual, on the other the side light earths normally but the dip and main return to the switch and earth thru there - I think the wire is blue and green but can't remember 100%

Steve

Hi Steve,

I am wiring from scratch as the car was bought last year as a part build and the original wiring was a bit of amess.

cheers

Terry

Guest jhfozzy

Can't for the life of me remember the wiring, some with the diagrams will be up soon.

As far as I can recall:

The switched main beam works by a link feed run from the lights stalk.

The flash main beam is fed from the Ignition, so that you may flash your main beams even if the headlights are off.

J.

Ignore the dimdip that Steve is talking about. Only applies to sierra loom and fusebox.

I did a schematic of 87 stalks a while back. If you have done your own loom then you have worked out the 87 switches work by earthing the two relays which supply the dip and main lights. The link 56 to 56 between the two switches is an earth link. The right hand switch chooses if it goes to earth or not (on or off) the left hand switch chooses if it earths the main or dip relay to switch on either main or dip lights.

The bit you need to check for flash is the wire to terminal 15 on the left hand switch. Its terminal should be labelled 31 and then you would know it is an earth but during the switch redesign at Uncle Henrys someone slipped up and it is numbered 15 (ie ignition live). It won't go bang if an ignition live is connected to it but it won't work either. It should be an earth so earth it. Hope this helps.

You may not have exactly the same diagram as mine. Don't worry. You can have variations but it shows the basic principles.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

That answers a lot of the queries that had me scratching my head for hours! I'll let you know how it goes (If the wife lets me out to play this week!)

cheers

Terry B)