Any Ideas?

Guest johnboymac

Guest johnboymac

Hi all,

I wont bore you all with the details (again) - however, Im having great difficulty in sourcing an engine, loom and ancillaries in central scotland. Im happy to get a full donor and strip for spares, but only really need the engine etc.

I have phoned scrappies etc and been told that pinto engined sierras are like rockin' horse poo due to banger racing in the area.

can anyone help - Im willing to travel and I have cash to spend. or - what are my other options - sierra - certain granada's, some transits???

any info very welcome as my build is stalled at the moment.

cheers, John

Guest Paul S Usowicz

John

I live in the Midlands and was given two donors for free and could have had several more if my Wife hadn't stopped me. If you look in Loot (www.loot.com) there are loads of cheap Sierras and also try Autotrader (www.autotrader.co.uk). I know the midlands is a long way but perhaps some more northern members could keep an eye out in their local papers. I regulalry see Sierras for less than £250 in my local paper. If you do want to travel all the way down here I will happily keep a look out though.

Cheers

Paul S Usowicz

Guest graham dockerill

Hi John , you will have to travel, as south of the A14 they are dumped in lay-bys, on roads in towns but you have to be quick before they are set alight. The easy answer if you want a V5 is advertise in the free ads papers (loot or ad trader) in the southern parts of england as down here they have to pay to scrap them. best of luck, Graham

Guest Mr Pid

Hi John,

Well this will make you sick but i can confirm what Graham said. I am in Portsmouth which is about as far south as you can get, and there is simply shed loads of old sierras, lining the roads, people just give them away for free cos its costs bout £50-£60 to scrap them.

Im picking up donor no.5 tomorrow which will be stripped by the end of the week. I might need the engine and loom but i dont know yet. I'll keep you posted,but its one hell of a treck to come down here.

Good luck

Guest johnboymac

I think the term 'sick as a parrot' pretty much sums it up.

Scanning the ad papers, I found one possible, engine only for 50 - but oh no, its been gone for about a week (the ad paper only came out this am....)

one other possible is a 1.8 e reg no tax or test (failed on brakes, rust, lights etc) - but get this, the owner wants £350..... I guess the sump on this one is made from solid gold.

ah well, will keep searching - I may well need to broaden the search area - currently im looking at a 100 mile radius of edinburgh (so newcastle is the current limit).

I've just been told that there is a 2 ltr sierra for sale in our local town, with some MOT & tax left on it for £50. And I am in Chorley, just south of Preston. If you're interested, I'll go and find it and get details etc.

Jim

Guest johnboymac

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies on this one - all very helpful, though Im afraid that they do point to us scots being 'careful' with our pennies in that we won't give away cars that even the scrapyard is loathe to take......

anyway - some good news for me. At the weekend I sat down with the local yellow pages and trawled through it for local yards, I found one not more than 6 miles away that I didn't know existed, so went to visit. it had 4 possibles, two grannies (both 2efi) and 2 sierra's , one a 1.6 on carb(had been sitting a while though), the other a 2efi. the 2l was the best option (a recent mot fail), so 2hrs to remove it including the engine loom and eecIV etc, then it was dropped into the back of my volvo (sorry!) which groaned a bit.

this was £75 - not too bad, since I now don't have a donor shell to dump afterwards.

again, many thanks, John

• 2 weeks later...