Sierra Torque Tube

Guest Ramraider

Guest Ramraider

Ok, call me dumb but the torque tube on a Sierra is mounted to the original car by a couple of big black rubber bushes either side etc ... On my 2B the same applies, but what is the need to drill through the metal surrounding the bushes and then bolt it direct, therefore making the rubber bush redundant...Is this common practice as I don't have the build DVD's so no way of checking... It's just it looks a bit of a bodge as well...

Thanks

Guest chris brown
Ok, call me dumb but the torque tube on a Sierra is mounted to the original car by a couple of big black rubber bushes either side etc ... On my 2B the same applies, but what is the need to drill through the metal surrounding the bushes and then bolt it direct, therefore making the rubber bush redundant...Is this common practice as I don't have the build DVD's so no way of checking... It's just it looks a bit of a bodge as well...

Thanks

The tube should be hard mounted to the chassis. Lots have removed the bushes and welded a thick piece of steel over the hole that is left then bolted this to the chassis. This has two advantages first it gives you that bit more ground clearance and believe me you need all you can get under these mountings and secondly it gives a good hard mounting point. Unlike on the tin top you are not looking for a rear end that has give to soak up shock and keep things quite you need things to be bolted hard down like on any sports/race car.

And coming from the other direction------I've fitted the torque tube & the diff rubber mount exactly as Mr. Ford designed it--it worked for all Sierra's inc. high horse-power models so why not in a lighter weight seven style 2 seater? crash helmet on & waiting for incoming-*-*-*

Guest Ramraider
Not only that but the diff is also hard mounted to the chassis and if the tube wasn't, the diff bracket would quickly work harden and snap from the movement on the axle.

Robin

Well that's sort of what I figured...What was the point in one side of the axle being rigid mounted and the other not. Will be fabricating some plates up and removing the bushes.

I've fitted the torque tube & the diff rubber mount exactly as Mr. Ford designed it--it worked for all Sierra's inc. high horse-power models so why not in a lighter weight seven style 2 seater?

Absolutely no reason. You build in a little more comfort at the expense of loosing a tiny amount of rigidity in axle location.

For SVA you need to remember the rear axle/tube/diff are not rigidly mounted to the chassis. If you wish to fix brake lines or fuel lines across from chassis to tube/diff it must be by flexi, not by rigid pipe which could suffer fatigue failure over a period of time. Use just copper/cunifer across the gap and if SVA man spots it he should fail you (I mean fail the car).

Nigel