Need A New Sump

XSU976

Out for a run on Saturday, moved into the middle of the road to give a cyclist some room when there was a large bang and the I lost the speedo? Ran ok on the way home no rattles or bangs, oil pressure good, no smoke etc.

Put it up on the ramps and found the speedo cable hanging down and this,

post-2779-1222023996_thumb.jpg

post-2779-1222023409_thumb.jpg

I've no idea what I hit but fortunately nothing gave way. Looked on fleabay but can only find 'modified' sumps where you supply the original, I'm not sure they would want to work with this one.

Having looked underneath, it looks like I can simply drop the sump down and back without disturbing the engine, is this right?

If I try to fit a short sump will I have to lift the engine?

Anyone out there got a sump to suit 1600 for sale please.

Cheers,

Tom Hayden

Out for a run on Saturday, moved into the middle of the road to give a cyclist some room when there was a large bang and the I lost the speedo? Ran ok on the way home no rattles or bangs, oil pressure good, no smoke etc.

Put it up on the ramps and found the speedo cable hanging down and this,

post-2779-1222023996_thumb.jpg

post-2779-1222023409_thumb.jpg

I've no idea what I hit but fortunately nothing gave way. Looked on fleabay but can only find 'modified' sumps where you supply the original, I'm not sure they would want to work with this one.

Having looked underneath, it looks like I can simply drop the sump down and back without disturbing the engine, is this right?

If I try to fit a short sump will I have to lift the engine?

Anyone out there got a sump to suit 1600 for sale please.

Cheers,

Tom Hayden

:D

i have a spare sump if your stuck original so would need modifying i your interested and u could collect its yours free :D

You will probably find that you will need to lift the engine a little. I just jacked up the one side as the sump wont clear the plough bar and drop back as the pickup pipe gets in the way inside. You will have to take the nut of the engine mount but it will just rise up and stay on the thread so it will just drop back into place. hth

http://nw.rhocar.org has a sump tutorial on it......

Bill might build you one... http://www.joeybrown.co.uk/#

Dan :)

I think Bill built mine.

£100 and very good job (pick up just needed a touch of persuasion)

I fitted mine at the weekend so I have the original 205 pinto sump if you still need one.

Gents,

Thanks for the as usual round of prompt responses,

Chris is right, the original has been modified, I was led to believe it was a standard sump by the seller but on closer inspection it can't be allthough it doesn't appear to have a side extension for recovering the original oil capacity.

The rusty damage has always been there but only as a consequence of gentle scraping over speed humps, this damage is a lovely dent which I think may well have damaged the pickup as it is very deep.

Gaz, Your offer of a spare sump would be greatfully received, I only need to swap them over whilst I refettle / reinforce the original. Because the car lives under a cover and I'm not sure how quickly I can get it done it would help if I could use your sump to box the engine up until I'm ready to refit the original.

Could you pm me some contact details so I can get in touch please.

Thanks again for the advice, hopefully it will be back on the road soon.

Tom Hayden

hi tom

i have a shortened 2.0 somp here also an unmodded one from a 1600 still on the engine i was about to scrap

the 1600 engine . if you want to do the job here your more than welcome .

graham