The Hood Strikes Back

Guest Captain Daz

Guest Captain Daz

After

8 years, 6 months, 2 weeks and 5 days......

....my 2B finally passed its SVA today!!! Wahoo!!! :D

Off to register tomorrow then miles of happy Hooding ahead.

A huge thanks to everyone who gave so much support and advice over the years. Thanks to all on the forum.

Thank you to all the Kent boys too for their tips, encouragment and bits 'n' bobs.

And a big thanks to Bob Tucker for giving me a couple of trips in his Hood. Gave me the chance to try out a hood when I needed a boost the most.

Weird thing was that as I drove home from Mitcham the A22 was closed due to a crash. Followed the diversion and ended up in Caterham. Even had to drive past the Cateringvan show room! Made me laugh anyway.

Cheers

Daren

PS To those of you who are still building....if I can do it anyone can and don't worry how long it takes you. People laughed at me, always asking 'When is it going to be finished?' But they're all mighty impressed now and, low and behold, they all want a ride.

Guest Nigel Novice

Congrats and well done :D I can only dream of SVA so far, but the long nights are drawing near and my other duties should wane, gonna put the 14" telly in the garage to cut down on the mileage to and from PC :rolleyes:

Guest Captain Daz

Cheers Guys

My smile was wipe off my face today as I came in to contact with the DVLA.

Gave them my paper work. Oooh, I can't do those you'll have to wait for someone else. Waited. Two people took on the task. All paper work filled in correctly. Good. :angel:

Where's you reciept for the chassis?

Here.

No. That's the reciept for the kit. Where's the one for the chassis?

That is one and the same. :fool:

But it doesn't say chassis or have a number.

No. I've made up my own. As required for the SVA and my insurance.

Oh dear. We'll have to fax all this to Swansea.

Time goes by......

We'll have to inspect the vehicle. That'll be in two months.

WTF?!!!! :aggressive:

Oh and can you pay now?

No. You can have a cheque that won't be cashed until I have my registration!

Oh. Ok then.

And I want a reciept.

Drive home was in a much darker mood than yesterday. I guess it'll be ready by about Christmas.

At least I'll have the screen and hood fitted by then.

Cheers

Daren

PS. All the best for Monday Deano. If I were you I'd 'aquire' a reciept for the chassis. ;)

Guest Ian & Carole

Sorry about the bad news Darren.

Just shows the different attitude of different offices.

Lincoln did my paperwork, checked the car over and issued the tax disc ect there and then.

Cheers Guys

My smile was wipe off my face today as I came in to contact with the DVLA.

Gave them my paper work. Oooh, I can't do those you'll have to wait for someone else. Waited. Two people took on the task. All paper work filled in correctly. Good. :angel:

Where's you reciept for the chassis?

Here.

No. That's the reciept for the kit. Where's the one for the chassis?

That is one and the same. :fool:

But it doesn't say chassis or have a number.

No. I've made up my own. As required for the SVA and my insurance.

Oh dear. We'll have to fax all this to Swansea.

Time goes by......

We'll have to inspect the vehicle. That'll be in two months.

WTF?!!!! :aggressive:

Oh and can you pay now?

No. You can have a cheque that won't be cashed until I have my registration!

Oh. Ok then.

And I want a reciept.

Drive home was in a much darker mood than yesterday. I guess it'll be ready by about Christmas.

At least I'll have the screen and hood fitted by then.

Cheers

Daren

PS. All the best for Monday Deano. If I were you I'd 'aquire' a reciept for the chassis. ;)

Hi Daren

Well done on your SVA pass

I Had similar problem at Wimbledon DVLA but my build report/ vehicle inspection was completed Tuesday this week, 8 days after paper work was submitted, just waiting for the report to land on the young lady’s desk today so I can get it all completed tomorrow, re the chassis I had to prove the chassis number was brought with the kit, mine came from robin hood with the kit but I phoned up GBS and got a standard letter returned with name address and chassis number on, might be worth a try.

One word off warning, talking to the guy who did the vehicle inspection/ build up report, he told me that his role and others around the country where going to be made redundant in the very near future, so I ask the question, who will be doing this task and he replied I have no idea, at present no one..

Cheers

Stephen

Guest Captain Daz

First problem is that the DVLA and VOSA are two different bodies who have little to do with each other so the build up report you send to VOSA doesn't go to DVLA and VOSA won't do the inspection at the time of the SVA.

Next problem is they're getting rid of the Enforcement Officers (my Dad did this job after retiring from the Police). Their main job was to check out of date tax discs. Kit car inspections was a sideline. They're getting rid of all of them and moving to an automated system. Trouble is computers won't come out to do a kit car inspection.

As the officers reduced in number they changed the kit car checks to random ones which is why some people have got registered without one.

Next problem is their material. Their guidelines have a number of documentation checks. All of which I ticked. The difficulty arose when they got to "Receipt for Chassis". This shows that you bought a chassis then took bits off a donor and made a kit car. Those with enough common sense would realise that most kit car manufacturers sell a complete kit which INCLUDES a chassis. Our friends are taking the meaning literally and won't accept my Kit receipt as proof. They want a specific Chassis Receipt.

I have sent everything I possess including a RH brochure from the time I bought it. Hopefully this will work.

I have also been on to GBSC who were very helpfull and said if I had any problems I could give them a ring and they could speak to the DVLA on my behalf.

Finally, Swansea gave me the local managers name who I can appeal to if I'm not satisfied.

I'll keep you posted with any news but my recomendation is to have a 'chassis receipt' ready when you go to register.

Its the only sticking point and its purely a lack of understanding on their part.

Wish me luck.