Crankshaft Sensor

niduncan

Does anybody have a hall effect crankshaft sensor that they would be willing to part with.

I am running a VDO electronic speedo at the moment with a VR Sensor but I have discovered that this is the wrong type of sensor to use. The speedo needle fluctuates and does not like going above 70mph, in fact the reading goes down the faster you go! I need a hall effect type sensor to try, some Vauxhhall and Ford crankshaft sensor are this type - they can be identified by having 3 connections in their plugs.

Many thanks.

post-347-1224674928_thumb.jpg

VDO speedo will also read an inductive pickup or 'interruption oscillator sensor' which I think is probably a reed switch and magnets. But I haven't any of them either! (Sorry I don't know the difference between VR and Inductive sensors.)

Nigel.

Have you got the instructions from VDO and tried the various ways of wiring up the sensor?

Yes I have the instructions for the speedo and have tried several ways of wiring up. There are 3 different sensors (inductive, hall effect and reed) that can be used which seem to produce a digital output ready for the speedo, the VR sensor does not do any processing and produces a rough sine wave which is why the speedo is not accurate - I think! I use the diff to propshaft flange bolt heads to trigger the sensor and have also made a test rig using an electric drill. I can attach the car wiring to the test rig and see the results on the speedo so the next step is to try a hall effect sensor.

post-347-1224702093_thumb.jpg