Gear Shift / Change

Guest duncjuno

Guest duncjuno

Hi everybody. I am new member to the RHOCAR Community although I have been regularly visiting as a guest from some while. I have really enjoyed following some of the threads and pleased to see that a lot of members respond with really useful information and advice. I recently purchased my first Hoodie in September 08 (super spec 2005), and have been having some fun driving and updating a few bits as a rolling upgrade.

Anyway to get to the point - I would like to know if it's usual for MT75 gearboxes (fixed to Rover T Series) to have a stiff gear change. It goes into gear okay and is fairly smooth to change gear moving along, it's just dammed heavy going. Any members who have this box may say it's normal?? What do you think - do I have a potential problem on my hands?

Hi everybody. I am new member to the RHOCAR Community although I have been regularly visiting as a guest from some while. I have really enjoyed following some of the threads and pleased to see that a lot of members respond with really useful information and advice. I recently purchased my first Hoodie in September 08 (super spec 2005), and have been having some fun driving and updating a few bits as a rolling upgrade.

Anyway to get to the point - I would like to know if it's usual for MT75 gearboxes (fixed to Rover T Series) to have a stiff gear change. It goes into gear okay and is fairly smooth to change gear moving along, it's just dammed heavy going. Any members who have this box may say it's normal?? What do you think - do I have a potential problem on my hands?

Mine is stiff stationary but free while moving.

THe RH remote mod is poor on the mounting.. they have slop.

Hope you enjoy the car mine is gre..at

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest duncjuno

Thanks for the replys interesting that this seems to be a bit of a trend for the MT75. You're right it is better moving along but finding second from third can be a bit of a struggle - again not because it's crunching but it is heavy and not as slick as I would like.

Would be interesting if anyone else has this niggle.

Cheers again guys, Duncan

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya

Mine is the same, at first it was a pain but I notice now I have got used to it that its not much of a problem. Its up to 800 miles now so not had much of chance to ease off, I was told that its the same as in a Transit which has a fairly long gear leaver and looking at how short it is on the hood that would make it harder to shift.

Not looking forward to the thrust bearing giving up the ghost :o

Yan

Hi All,

I am using the MT75 on the back of a DOHC. I junked the ford remote frame and mounted the gear leveron top of the 2B chassis rails.

Its slick and smooth.

Is the remote working at an angle on the SS?

Is it too far above the connection on the gearbox itself.

Ford has 2 swivel connections, one at the box and one at the lever.

I have no problem.

graham B

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geordiebarry

I have 2 DOHC sierras with MT75 boxes. Drove one from London and the other from Manchester. I have noticed that 1 was slick and one is at times a bit of a struggle. I was thinking that maybe either the linkage needs cleaning or the oil needs changing. I am currently stripping the one with the better change (donor) so I can investigate further.

The other one is my 2nd car to play with the RWD but the tighter box does become a pain at times.