Exhaust Wrap

Guest jwts

Hi,

Is exhaust wrap a good idea? If so which is the best type to use and any suggestion on where to buy it?

If I bring it out onto the pipework outside the engine bay will it withstand the weather?

Is there any sort of exhaust wrap to avoid?

Thanks for any info.

John (jwts).

Guest Ian & Carole

IMHO it is well worth it.

DSC01078-1.jpg

Seems to keep the engine bay a lot cooler.

I took ours as far as the 4 to 1 joint.

Not the best pic but you can see what I mean.

We have been to Yorkshire for 3 summers !!!!!!!!!!! read wet !!!!!!!!! then played in fords around the dales run through cow sh!t sheep s!it and general mud and although discoloured still does the job.

Guest salty_monk

I had it on the first one, not on the current one. It's a pig to do with the manifold on the car. Yes you can take it outside but it will look pretty grubby very quickly. Ceramic "flo" coating is meant to be better.

It doesn't make any difference to performance but can lower under bonnet temps (so can extra vents in the bonnet).

It can cause your manifold to break quicker (gets hotter so more stress). It can hold water & cause manifold to rust.

Dan :)

I love it cos mine lives outside mostly so it's always wet and when I start up by the time I get to the main road junction you can't see the car for the cloud of steam as the exhaust heats up and everyone thinks it's on fire and it has lasted two years but isn't too grubby and it keeps the heat in the gasses so keeps their velocity up and gains that extra quarter horse power which makes all the difference getting down to tesco and it stops little kiddies burning their hands so quickly if they wander over to leave sticky prints on the shiny car and it makes it look like a racing car and what them above all said, innit.

Nigel

Yeah! Like Respec' Nigel :D

Agreed with all the above comments.

A bit worried about the headers breaking up, but I've had no issues yet with regards to that.

I used the stuff from CBS first off, but it disintegrated pretty quickly.

I then bought some Thermo Tec (Copper II) off ebay.

Much better. I sprayed it with HT paint too, so maybe that helps.

Stiil looks good 12 months on.

When i did mine i sprayed the headers and pipe with VHT exhaust paint first to try to hold back the corrosion , then used 50mm wide wrap at half lap , sprayed it again with the VHT to seal those itchy glass fibres in. Still looks quite clean .

Mike

Guest neil stobbart
When i did mine i sprayed the headers and pipe with VHT exhaust paint first to try to hold back the corrosion , then used 50mm wide wrap at half lap , sprayed it again with the VHT to seal those itchy glass fibres in. Still looks quite clean .

Mike

Bought mine from Agriemach - much cheaper than Burtons / Deemon Tweeks if you want the black rather than white. Would recommend 50mm wide and cover with VHT paint once installed. Found stainless tie wraps can struggle to hold it in place though - took a few attempts but got there in the end!

Stobby

Guest Deano 777
Hi,

Is exhaust wrap a good idea? If so which is the best type to use and any suggestion on where to buy it?

If I bring it out onto the pipework outside the engine bay will it withstand the weather?

Is there any sort of exhaust wrap to avoid?

Thanks for any info.

John (jwts).

Hi John i got mine from Rally Design in faversham here is there number 01795 531871

Yeah! Like Respec' Nigel :D

Agreed with all the above comments.

A bit worried about the headers breaking up, but I've had no issues yet with regards to that.

I used the stuff from CBS first off, but it disintegrated pretty quickly.

I then bought some Thermo Tec (Copper II) off ebay.

Much better. I sprayed it with HT paint too, so maybe that helps.

Stiil looks good 12 months on.

Grizzly,

I see there are thee types of Thermo Tec on eBay now; white, copper and graphite. Anything to choose between them? How much do I need? The Thermo Tec is sold in either 1inch by 50 feet or 2 inch by 50 feet.

My exhaust seems to be stainless, should I paint it before wrapping it or just paint it after. Any recommendations for paint?

Thanks,

John (jwts).

Hi John,

I went for the 1 inch copper (can't remember why). You'll probably be spraying it anyway so it may not matter too much.

If there's a next time, I'd probably go for the 2 inch, but the 1 inch probably wraps neater on smaller pipes around the bends.

If you look at the small print in the adverts for this stuff, I seem to recall that there was a guide to help you calculate how much you're going to need.

50 feet sounds a lot but (with a bit of overlap) you soon use it up. I think I bought 50 feet, but then had to get some more!

Not sure what painting prior to wrapping would achieve. From the voices on here though, it seems that the consensus is because the heat doesn't dissipate, the headers run hotter. I guess therefore that this it what can cause them to (eventually) get broken down. :unknw:

What I do know, is that without wrapping (and without any bulkhead heat matting too) the engine bay & cockpit sure get extremely warm!

HTH

Guest peter2b2002

Hi John, if it's stainless , no need to paint the tubes,tape it does help the clutch cable to last though.

is the upper red lion still open or is it the smugglers? used to go there after bell ringing practice

peter2b

Guest salty_monk

I used the 2" by 50' & had just enough from memory. Mine was itchy Aluminium type. If you get covered in it, take a cold shower after not a hot one as it'll open up the pores & irritate it even worse!

I didn't use cable ties, I stripped some "twin & earth" electrical cable & used the solid copper wire to wrap the pipe, then twisted the ends to secure & tighten. Lastly fold the twisted end back flat to the pipe. Worked Great.

Guest scrabster

hi,as a complete newbie to the kit car scene,i got a price for a stainless exhaust system while i was waiting for the one from gbs.i then asked about exhaust wrap and the guy wouldnt guarantee the manifold if i used it.

jess.