Front Cycle Wings

johnhetherington

i've seen a way of getting round this problem by splitting the front mudgaurd in half length ways and adding a strip of ali or stainless to the middle. a bit like the rear arches but double sided. saves any worry or buying new wider arches. i think a few people have done this now?...

robin

i've seen a way of getting round this problem by splitting the front mudgaurd in half length ways and adding a strip of ali or stainless to the middle. a bit like the rear arches but double sided. saves any worry or buying new wider arches. i think a few people have done this now?...

robin

Sounds like a lot of extra work - I've gone with the mudguards flush with the outer face of the tyre in plan view as this is easy to set up by clamping a big board to the outside of the wheel. The actual tread of the tyre is pretty well covered so I don't think spray will be too much of a problem. If the SVA is a problem then I'll fit a pair of the wide cycle wings for £90 from GBS assuming that they're wider than 200mm.

I brazed bolts onto 4 perforated sheet steel 4" x 7" ( 2 per arch) and used a tube of Sikaflex per wheel arch to bond them on.

When the supports were on and drilled i dummy fitted the perforated plates and cycle wings, adjusted the studs and nuts until i had a good fit, wheels on and off many times, used a few blobs of Sikaflex and left to dry overnight, in the morning removed wings and perforated plates ( the movable parts of the wing stays need to be lightly bolted on at this stage but removable) and used a tube of Sikaflex per wing covering the plates and any air gaps, left to dry for another night then the next day re fitted wing stays and wings then bolted up for good with nylocks.

A very close fit to the tyre and no bolts showing.

John, I did a variation on Turbo’s mounting. I sikaflexed rectangles of aluminium plate to the underside of the mudguard where it touches the mounting tube, and then screwed through the mud guards/plate/mount tube. I have still got some crazing of the fibreglass though, even after doing this though. I can’t be sure if this was down to me or previous owner’s attempt to fit the mudguards. And as Dave Castle says, for SVA only the (metal) part of the wheel needs to be ‘covered’ when looking from above. HTH, Brian