Fitting A Lsd With Lobro To A Drum Braked Car?

Snapperpaul

I have had a good look at the NW Hoodies page on fitting the Lobro/bolt on diff but that requires fitting the discs and i don't want to do that.

Can i remove the bolt on bits from the diff and just use the push in shafts?

Can i use the bolt on end of one shaft and the push in end at the brake drums?

Any other solutions that you can think of?

Having just done this I used the lobro diff and its flanges. I removed the tripode joints from the inner ends of the half shafts and stuck a lobro on each one and bolted them up. So I now have lobro inner and tripode outer half shaft joints with LSD diff and drum brake hubs. Ole.

ps. It was a pain in the donkey to do and I have searched through the entire stock of replacement lobro joints in the South West till I found two that were a good fit on the splines and had all the bolts and boots with them.

Nigel

I have joined the Sierra owners club (feel a bit like an undercover Russian spy) and found a way of doing this.

There are a variety of drive shaft sizes, and Lobro's with different splines ( its a Ford there would be would'nt there) they recomend using the 2.0L DOHC 4x4 drum braked push in drive shafts ( or drum braked Diesel) on to which the Lobros will fit, I currently have push in shafts from my drum braked Sierra, bolt on shafts from a disc braked Sierra and a LSD with the diff end Lobros still on the shafts which i cut off the donor with a 12" cutter.

Longboarder did you fix the shafts at the diff end to the Lobro with circlips??

Longboarder did you fix the shafts at the diff end to the Lobro with circlips??

Standard 85 sierra 2.0L injected pinto donor, push in halfshafts, tripodes both ends, drums, 3.92 open diff.

In my conversion the lobro joint is held on the halfshafts by circlip. I didn't touch the new diff with its lobro flanges apart to remove the diff backplate to check it was LSD and its ratio and sluice it clean with paraffin.

I spent ages on the sierra owners club site and found confusing advice. There is a guy who knows how to do it but he's cagey about giving out the information it seemed. DOHC shafts were mentioned plus some sort of late sierra hybrid shaft which I took to mean a lobro one end and tripode/drum setup the other.

Cheapest way is still I think to get a full LSD/Lobro/Disc rear end and transplant the lot.

Nigel