Sump Ground Clearance

Guest Bob Rowell

Guest Bob Rowell

I have been checking the ground clearance while re-building my S7 and was quite alarmed to find that the sump is only 4" (100mm) clear of the ground. Is this typical of the 2ltr Pinto engine.

I had thought of lifting the engine slightly, but as the exhaust header pipes are only 15mm clear of the servo I decided against that.

The next option is raising the overall ride height of the car using the suspension. On checking the rear I found about one third of the threads on the shock visible below the lock nuts.

The front is totally different. My car has the inboard shock set-up, there are no visible threads below the lock-nuts, and in fact I am able to turn the springs round on their seats with moderate hand pressure.

Can anyone advise me of the correct ride height, or even some guidance as to how many threads should be visible on the shocks.

Oh, and by the way, mine has the shortened sump! :unsure:

:huh: i to have an s7 and the sump is about the same hight but to be safe i fitted a substancial sump gard just in case ive had no problems

i will do some messurements in the morning and post them here

ps i to have inboard shocks(the best imho)so should be the same :mellow:

Hello Bob, welcome to the wonderful world of Robin Hoods, my sump clearance is about 3 3/4" it is an RS alloy one and apart from some sleeping policemen has been fine. The body rides about 6 1/4" at the front and 6 1/2" at the rear. Ideally the front lower wishbone/control arm should be about horizontal. If you can move the front spring it isn't really supporting the front of the car! The standard front springs fitted on the inboard suspension were 180lbs/in with a free height of 9". check to see what the installed height of yours are. Mine were about 71/2" so about 270lbs preload. I will try to email you some pictures and article about fitting softer springs it may be of use to you, the pictures at least.

Regards Peter.