How Did You Paint Your Car? And Rust Protection?

Guest elliot tanner

Guest elliot tanner

Evening everyone,

I am about to strip down a 2b and re-paint all the body work. Firstly it has some surface rust on some of the panels, i've been told a paint called Galvafroid is the stuff to use to make sure the rust never comes back, has any body heard of it? And if not can they recommend anything else?

Secondly, how has everyone painted there cars? Take it to a professional? Or at home with a compressor and spray gun? If you have taken it to professional can you say how much it cost and was it worth the extra money? If you have painted it at home, can you recommend some where to buy paint from?

Thanks ,

Elliot

Guest Stuartl
Evening everyone,

I am about to strip down a 2b and re-paint all the body work. Firstly it has some surface rust on some of the panels, i've been told a paint called Galvafroid is the stuff to use to make sure the rust never comes back, has any body heard of it? And if not can they recommend anything else?

Secondly, how has everyone painted there cars? Take it to a professional? Or at home with a compressor and spray gun? If you have taken it to professional can you say how much it cost and was it worth the extra money? If you have painted it at home, can you recommend some where to buy paint from?

Thanks ,

Elliot

Elliot, I have posted very similar threads recently.

If you fancy a chat PM me with your number and we can compare findings!

ok here goes. First Buy a Mask if you are going to paint it yourself. Screwfix do a p2 28 day mask which should be ok for the job. Second don't use 2 pack because its full of isocyanate and is a bit dangerous without proper air fed masks. Cellulose is your best bet for the home user. HAvent tried the new water based stuff but apparently it takes weeks to dry without an oven (not sure you'll fit it in your fan-oven).

I used etch primer on the bare metal and glassfibre bits. i bought this at middleton panels in gloucester. 5 litres for about 25gbp. i used about 1/2 to 3/4 of the can to do the panels inside and out. I probably in hindsight should have then used a primer but i didnt and just applied the top coat cellulose. It hasnt all fallen off yet so maybe iam lucky or maybe its ok to do that. Again i bought 5ltr of top coat. Middleton did budget cans basically of standard colours so i got yellow. i had intended to buy some extra yellow in the fiat colour for the final colour but it turned out to be perfect colour i wanted. you can see it in my profile section i think. again this was about 25gbp (although that was 5 years ago).

You will also need lots of thinners. You are probably best reading an online tutorial as to the precise method but generally go for a nice even layer not too thick. if you get runs or dust use 1200 grit wet and dry with water and washing up liquid to flat it back. couple of good coats of etch primer then (possibly anouther primer ) the top coat. I put 3+ coats on as i had plenty of paint. with the last coat thin it down about 10% to get a nice glossy finish. some people even spray neat thinners over the last coat.

hope that helps

Galvafroid is a very thick zinc-rich paint, goes on like underseal;by brush;& dries like a ploughed field;very expensive but good on chassis;don't think it can be over painted;least ways not for a long time after. Regards Bob.

Guest Stuartl

Agent Zed I called into Middleton in Hempsted and found the guy very helpful indeed. He suggested trying an aerosol of etch primer to check it sticks to the zintex ok then all being well I will etch prime then cellulose the body so it resembles a car again.

What about this water based paint? Cant you get spirit based anymore? Not sure I like the sound of it taking weeks to dry.....