St170 (190now)

Guest dandan

Looks awesome guys, great job. Often wondered about going this route myself as an upgrade as I think its a fairly standard replacement for the zetec as has the same bottom end. Not sure whether new manifolds would be required as the heads will be different to the 2ltr blacktop.

Oh and of course another £300 mapping session at Emerald!!

Very tempting......

cheers for the comments

your manifolds should fit straight on andy

should be a easy engine swap

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mtechautomotive

Graham,

Re. filters. It de[pends on the use, for example if you are road driving and a gritting loorie goes i front of you...

If you plan on sunny day runs etc then it should be OK, its really down to the cars day to day environment. Most track/hill climb cars don't run them due to no fly-off from the asphalt, but again, its all about the usage.

Clean air will help with longevity of the engine though, as any dirt is usually trapped by oil etc and can end up scraping a bore.

Hope that clarifys, I will get on the blower to jenvey tommorow though and see what prices I can wingle from them!

Cheers,

Matt

Guest mtechautomotive

Jomeo,

Graham has nailed it really, the Zetec Blacktop and the 'Duratec' found in Focus RS Turbos and ST170s is really just a rebadged Zetec engine, uprated map (Still running EEC-V), VVT and steel internals.

The manifolds etc are a straight swap. One thing to bare in mind is that most of the work on the ST170 is already done, the inlet has port matched bores etc

A REAL duratec is all Alloy construction, and, IIRC has chain driven cam gear, whereas the St170 is Zetec Belt driven, with cast iron block and alloy head.

With Grahams, the VVT is simply swicthed on at around 4,000RPM advancing the inlet cam by QUITE a bit. It lets the scavenging happen more from overlapping the exhaust, causing a nice inlet velocity. The downside is an incredibly bad idle if the VVT is simply locked on.

The Ford EEC-V system has a pulse-width modulated VVT driver which advances the cam gradually, giving a smoother power curve, even taking into account oil pressure which, being as the cam is advanced through this pressure, can have an effect on this advance PWM signal. We are looking into adding a nice bit of software to our V3 to accomadate this.

After much reading, the way forward would be to combine the steel internals of the ST170 engine with a set of Neumann cams or equivilant to make a smooth, yet exagerated power curve. Again this depends on the driver. Grahams is setup to be crazy when he wants to be, and for driving to the track days in a safe manner 'off cam' so to speak.

Price wise, a fully built brand new Zetec with TBs and Management ready to rock and roll with around the 175BHP mark from us would be around £2K, the TB'd Duratec comes in at over double this, but with cams, a screwdriver, and a smile you can see 300+BHP on a normally aspirated setup.

Matt

Price wise, a fully built brand new Zetec with TBs and Management ready to rock and roll with around the 175BHP mark from us would be around £2K, the TB'd Duratec comes in at over double this, but with cams, a screwdriver, and a smile you can see 300+BHP on a normally aspirated setup.

Matt

wow that would be a monster

Guest mtechautomotive

Graham,

The 300BHP (the cams are rated for 320BHP would consist of a 2.3 Duratec, Wiseco Hi-Comp Pistons, Standard rods (They can handle it but in accordance with it being reliable would be Eagle Rods) ARP bolts throughout, uprated oil pump, Burton 320Cams, Jenvey 48mm Bodies, 400CC Injectors, Ported+Polished Head, and Management pre-mapped (Each of these engines will be custom mapped, rather tha supplied with generic basemap as per the Zetec kit)

Price wise, I can only roughly assume around the 8K mark, but then it is a 300BHP+ race engine, all ALLOY race engine. For the serious use the car and supporting ancilliares (cooling, clutch, etc) would need to be uprated to be able to handle the power.

The good news is, we are currently talking to 'Able2Buy' so we can offer customers interest free finance to make building a track monster more affordable.

We will be taking a couple of our Zetec and Sigma pre built engines to Detling with us in April, and offering some good prices at the show :)

Cheers,

Matt

wow let me say that is a great job and I want one too.

I sold my ST170 and went to a diesel puegeot to raise cash for the Zero and I really miss it.

I'm very interested as this is a fantastic engine in the focus and will be totally mad in a lightweight (or a zero).

What gear box have you used? - the focus had a six speed getrag which is a real leg crippler in traffic but the higher gears are sweet. With 5 on a type 9 I'm not sure what that will do for driveability on the road :unsure: I still try to get 6th in the 1.4 pug diesel.

Also what have you done about the rev limiter It was so easy to hit it in all gears (well maybe not 6th) in the focus as this engine is so easy to rev.

The focus was limited to 128 mph I'm guessing this has gone :o

Hope I get to see it disappearing into the distance away from the zero sometime next year.

Keep up the good work guys (looks like you'll have some followers)

Andrew

Guest mtechautomotive
Also what have you done about the rev limiter It was so easy to hit it in all gears (well maybe not 6th) in the focus as this engine is so easy to rev.

The focus was limited to 128 mph I'm guessing this has gone :o

Andrew

Andrew,

When we mapped it we can set the limit to whatever we feel is safe on the ECU, for Grahams it was set to soft limit (that is to retard the timing) at 7,000, then to hard-cut (cut the ignition all together) at 7,300.

Cheers,

Matt

Guest Ian & Carole

Matt

WOW!! I need to borrow that screwdriver :D

Do you borrow it from Doctor Who :D or is it your own. :rolleyes:

Seriously engines sound really great and am loking forward to seeing them at Detling.

Guest mtechautomotive
WOW!! I need to borrow that screwdriver :D

Do you borrow it from Doctor Who :D or is it your own. :rolleyes:

Seriously engines sound really great and am loking forward to seeing them at Detling.

lol, nah I borrow it off Phillips :)

No worries, be sure to pop along and say hello, will be offering 10% off on the day among loads of other bargains I am sure!

Oh dont forget we will have our dyno there too, think runs will be £20-£30 with printout etc etc, we had it at the exeter show, and loads of people said 'if i knew you were bringing it I would of brought the car"...

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by mtechautomotive

hi ozz

the g/box is a fully rebuilt type 9 with a long first convertion .

i have to say that i dont at the mo want to see 128 on the speedo ,and what with the brick like aerodynamics,

i dont think it should happen anyway,

re the 6 speed box , we run vivaro vans with this box , and i too get fed up playing tunes on the box .

regards graham