Wiring New Fuel Gauge

Swan Jnr

hello,

i've bought a new petrol tank as the old one was leaking. its a mini van tank, and comes with a mini sender unit.

i also need to buy a fuel gauge (car currently doesnt have one) and had intended to buy one that matches the rest of the dials (this range here : http://www.speedycables.com/page21.html ) i dont know however if the two will be compatible, or what i need to know to work it out

can anyone offer any advice?

thanks

Paul

Guest chris brown
hello,

i've bought a new petrol tank as the old one was leaking. its a mini van tank, and comes with a mini sender unit.

i also need to buy a fuel gauge (car currently doesnt have one) and had intended to buy one that matches the rest of the dials (this range here : http://www.speedycables.com/page21.html ) i dont know however if the two will be compatible, or what i need to know to work it out

thanks

Paul

You need to know the resistance of the sender at full and empty (easy to find just connect an ohm meter across it and note the reading at each end of the float travel) and buy a gauge that is compatible

Guest markhorton

You could always do as I have done. I have the telemetrix gauges, rhe tank and sierra pick up/sender.

I bought the sender for the telemetrix fuel gauge, it comes as a kit, ie: sender, rod, float, clips.

I removed the sender from the sierra unit and fitted the telemetrix sender in its place. As the telemtrix sender needs to be fitted to suit anyway the only bit that is different is the fact that I have fitted it to the sierra unit.

It should be the same principle for the mini unit but I haven't seen one so cannot be 100% certain.

This way you have a matching set of dials.

HTH

Mark

hello,

thanks

Paul

Guest mtechautomotive

You can alter the outputs with a potential divider. This will allow both ends of the scale to match (but dave is right, with just a simple resistor you will only 'shift' the readout). You use a little network of reisistors to do it.

If you can get me the specs on the sender and gauge I will work out the values for you.

Oh, it also depends if the gauge is current driven or voltage driven but I am sure we can hash something together to make it work. I swapped a Mk3 Fiesta Dash for a Mk4 one a few years ago, that was interesting, as the signal is inverted, when it was empty it read full, and viceversa!

Matt