Infra Red Thermometer

Guest erichetherington

Guest chris brown
Saw this on Maplins site this evening, thought it might be of interest. Loads of uses once you get into it.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223009&C=N

A brilliant piece of kit has all sorts of uses I used one the other week to find a misfire. 10 seconds pointing it at the exhaust manifold told me straight away which pot wasn’t firing not always easy to find on a 6 pot

Guest woolly

i have one for work but last used on the hood to confirm the temp sender was telling a porky pie.

nice idea on the manifolds must remember that one

woolly

Guest outtolunch

I also use one at work saves a lot of climbing up ladders, one problem is they give false results when reading off some bare metals copper for instance so I wrap a piece of black insulating tape around pipes to measure the temperature far quicker than waiting for a contact probe to heat up.

I got one of these a year or so back to balance the radiators on my central heating. They are really handy. Re mis-fires and manifolds, I heard that in the 60's TTs, the Japanese technicians used a similar trick to see which pot wasn't firing- but they used their bare hands! The one that didn't burn them had the mis-fire. Ouch.