Leaking Oil

Guest superspec

Guest superspec

Managed to damage the sump on my superspec this weekend and subsequently it is now dripping oil from a small split or hole. It has the EFI 2000 litre Rover unit. Does anyone know What model Rover this came from so that can try and track down a new sump or if not it may be repairable. Any ideas.

Hi the deep sump was from a rover 820, the short sump was a rover 420 item this gives about 20mm more road clearence, the rover superspecs came with both types but my choice is the 420 sump, if u are changing to a shorter sump u will need the pick up pipe as well.

HTH

Steve

Guest superspec
Hi the deep sump was from a rover 820, the short sump was a rover 420 item this gives about 20mm more road clearence, the rover superspecs came with both types but my choice is the 420 sump, if u are changing to a shorter sump u will need the pick up pipe as well.

HTH

Steve

How do i know the difference ??

Thanks for that i will measure it tonight and see which one it is. I suspect from the sound of it that it is the deep sump

I have my old deep sump and pick up pipe if it is any good to you. I see no reason the sump could not be shortend, the pick up pipe can because thats what I had to do when I changed the sump out. maybe you could do a metal filler type repair on your existing sump to get you away while you source a short sump or mod one. On a more happy note changing the sump is childs play compared to the pinto.

My old sump has a few battle scares but is still sound I was just keeping it as a spare, but hey how many spares can you keep.

From what i was told when i got my 420 sump they were becoming like rocky horse sh*te but you never Know

Steve

is the rover engine originally a transverse engine? as it would be worth adding baffles if it is, as they will be baffled for side to side not front to back. hth

The rover sumps look like the have baffles that work front to back and side to side.

Steve

Guest superspec
I have my old deep sump and pick up pipe if it is any good to you. I see no reason the sump could not be shortend, the pick up pipe can because thats what I had to do when I changed the sump out. maybe you could do a metal filler type repair on your existing sump to get you away while you source a short sump or mod one. On a more happy note changing the sump is childs play compared to the pinto.

My old sump has a few battle scares but is still sound I was just keeping it as a spare, but hey how many spares can you keep.

From what i was told when i got my 420 sump they were becoming like rocky horse sh*te but you never Know

Steve

Thanks for that. I am going to remove my sump and see if i can get it repaired, but if not i will buy your old sump from you so if you can hang on to it for me that would be great as i really want the car on the road for detling show.

Regards

nick