Whats Need For A Pinto To A Zetec Swap?

Guest fozzy2007

Guest fozzy2007

Ok guys (and gals), i have an S7 with a standard 2.0L pinto in it but enough is enough and im a bit fed up of rebuilding every 500 miles because of the age of the engine (25 years) and a heavy right foot. What i need is a good idea of whats envolved in an engine swap with a 2.0L zetec. the following is just what i can think the main points with a swap will be but if you know of any other things that may stump me, could you let me know. Thanks.

ok, here goes!

1. will it suit an S7? (dimension wise?)

2. Will it fit where pinto is or does it need different mounts?

3. is it easy to source a zetec to type 9 bell housing and is it a straight forward fit?

4. Can i use the likes of a standard small radiator that comes with the S7 with a zetec?

5. are the exhaust fitings the same as a pinto? or can i just use an adaptor? or do i need a new exhaust system?

Im just trying to get all the niggly questions out of the way before i go ahead with this so im not stuck with an engine in a hoist looking for the welder and hacksaw!

Oh and number 6. If i pay postage, can i post my car and engine to you and have you fit it for me!?!?!?!?!? LOL

But seriously, having big %*&^*$" problems with the pinto so would like to change it asap.

(on the pinto engine as it stands, Mahoosivaly overreved it some weeks back and now have a loss of power and serious pinking under load! Have i just slipped a few timing degree's or something more serious? i was running a bit lean so up'd the fuel and some of the power is back but still pinkin bad!)

she's still quick, so got some smiles on the face but just sounds like a bag of @&*$.

Thanks all

Fozzy

Guest woolly

if running points they have probably closed up which will advance the ignition.

i can think of worse things but check that first.

i have considered a engine change from pinto to a zetec but thought it to much hassle and cost the pinto is good value.

woolly

Ok guys (and gals), i have an S7 with a standard 2.0L pinto in it but enough is enough and im a bit fed up of rebuilding every 500 miles because of the age of the engine (25 years) and a heavy right foot. What i need is a good idea of whats envolved in an engine swap with a 2.0L zetec. the following is just what i can think the main points with a swap will be but if you know of any other things that may stump me, could you let me know. Thanks.

ok, here goes!

1. will it suit an S7? (dimension wise?) Yes I've seen one in an S7

2. Will it fit where pinto is or does it need different mounts? Different mounts or you can reverse the Pinto ones and make an adapter plate. Engine & box has to come forward about 60mm to clear bulkhead so new prop required as well

3. is it easy to source a zetec to type 9 bell housing and is it a straight forward fit? Fits straight on with the right flywheel / clutch combination

4. Can i use the likes of a standard small radiator that comes with the S7 with a zetec? Shouldn't be a problem but you'll need an electric fan5. are the exhaust fitings the same as a pinto? or can i just use an adaptor? or do i need a new exhaust system? Exhaust exits on left so new manifold required as a minimum

Im just trying to get all the niggly questions out of the way before i go ahead with this so im not stuck with an engine in a hoist looking for the welder and hacksaw!

Oh and number 6. If i pay postage, can i post my car and engine to you and have you fit it for me!?!?!?!?!? LOL

But seriously, having big %*&^*$" problems with the pinto so would like to change it asap.

(on the pinto engine as it stands, Mahoosivaly overreved it some weeks back and now have a loss of power and serious pinking under load! Have i just slipped a few timing degree's or something more serious? i was running a bit lean so up'd the fuel and some of the power is back but still pinkin bad!)

she's still quick, so got some smiles on the face but just sounds like a bag of @&*$.

Thanks all

Fozzy

You'll also need an ECU of some sort and TB's or bike carbs or a system like Griffin. Mapping can get costly as many of us are discovering. You'll also need a floor mounted pedal box - on the S7 I saw the old pedal box area had been seriously modified to get the TB's to fit. Fuel tank will need baffles or an external swirl pot fitted and you'll need an injection pump and return line if you have not got one and going down that route. Water rails reduce forward movement of engine but are tricky to set up to get warm up and thermostat opening correct (although mine is fine now). Idler pulleys needed for engine or alternative alternator and mounting. There's probably a few points I've missed but all in all it can get expensive and its not a dead easy swap but quite achievable if you have knowledge. The result is good and 175bhp makes for a very rapid motor - with the extra rev limit can get to 70 in second.

THIS website is good for info and many of us have used it as a reference. Nigel (Longboarder) is a real expert in this area.

Guest fozzy2007

Ok!!!! might go down the route of a second pinto engine and rebuild it stronger and remember to fit a rev limiter one thinks. Ok guys, thanks for the answers and sorry it was such a newbie question. just not really looked into it before. Anyone got a spare pinto (205 block) hanging about rotting away. i have a head so just after block realy. might then go down route of a bore out to 2.1 and upgrade everything. would be simpler and probally cheaper than a swap for a zetec then. Saw a nice race spec pinto engine on ebay a month or so ago. £3500 was a bit steep for me however!

Guest mizurage135
Ok!!!! might go down the route of a second pinto engine and rebuild it stronger and remember to fit a rev limiter one thinks. Ok guys, thanks for the answers and sorry it was such a newbie question. just not really looked into it before. Anyone got a spare pinto (205 block) hanging about rotting away. i have a head so just after block realy. might then go down route of a bore out to 2.1 and upgrade everything. would be simpler and probally cheaper than a swap for a zetec then. Saw a nice race spec pinto engine on ebay a month or so ago. £3500 was a bit steep for me however!

Guest mizurage135

fozzy give mike lyons a ring in Brymawr on 01495 310276 he rebuilt my pinto to 2.1 all lightened and balenced, new clutch, flywheel, all gaskets, running in oil for under £800. Picked up stage 2 head with fr32 cam off a club member £160, went for brand new weber 45's and bestek ignition for about £1000. Spent approx 2k and all easy to do even for me.

mike

fozzy give mike lyons a ring in Brymawr on 01495 310276 he rebuilt my pinto to 2.1 all lightened and balenced, new clutch, flywheel, all gaskets, running in oil for under £800. Picked up stage 2 head with fr32 cam off a club member £160, went for brand new weber 45's and bestek ignition for about £1000. Spent approx 2k and all easy to do even for me.

mike

Has the bestek ignition been any good mine turns up tomoz ?

Dan