Heater/demister Questions

Guest SteveL

Guest SteveL

Hi Guys

I'm having a bit of a ponder on the subject of demisting the screen. I've made a small box for the heater matrix, and chopped the Sierra heater in half to make a smaller unit, but I'm still unsure whether I'm going to use it, as it still takes up quite a lot of space. As I see it, I have three options:

1) Use what I've made, and squeeze it in.

2) Use the Sierra fan only, with no heater matrix.

3) Ditch the heater completely and use the small demisting fans from Car Builder Solutions (Link here)

Does the air to demist the screen have to be hot to pass the SVA? (I know that hot air would demist it quicker than cold air, but I don't think it'll be a problem in a car like this) If not, option 2 is very simple and shouldn't take up much space.

Has anyone used the small demisters from CBS? If so, did you block off one of the cut-out vents either side, or mount the demister at the bottom of some sort of vent which covered both cut-outs either side, so all 4 had hot air blowing out of them?

Cheers

Steve

Guest paul mercer

good news or the bad? the good news is that i've gone for the blowers from car builders solutions. the bad news is that i haven't fitted them quite yet. i looked at doing so today, but need to know where i'm going to put my wipwr motor before i fit my heaters. i'm going to make a pipe up that will go to both vents so that in the unlikely event, i get an even demist. also for my own peace of mind, that's the right way to do it. when i've decided where i'm putting them, you're welcome to a set of pipes, which will prob be vac formed 2mm abs.

will let you know hopefully in next week or so.

Guest SteveL

Hi All

Thanks for the input so far. I'm leaning towards the simple route of using the (half) Sierra fan with no heater matrix. Anyone know if this would pass SVA, or does the air have to be heated?

Steve

having had first the sierra heater (cut down) but still too big and awkward, then I went to the Polo one, an excellent heater, 3 speed fan, and can easily be modded to vent anywhere. But had to take it out when I fitting the Vauxhall engine as there wasn't quite the room for the blower. After a few runs out without one, I can say that it has now gone to the top of my list for sorting out. Unless you're only going to use your car in the summer (IE those few days in June when the sun comes out, and it's actually warm as well!) then I would serriously recommend that you fit a heater.

Guest piddy

Hi .

In answer to your question will it pass without hot air.

I believe it will.

I didn't have a sreen fitted to my car when I went to SVA but I'm told the tester puts a piece of paper over the vents and if its blown off then it passes this test.

Piddy

The SVA manual says "A system using warm air to clear the screen must employ fan assistance"

It says nothing about cold air.

I fitted a heater from a Fiesta. Needed cutting about a bit but does the job.

Richard