Exhaust Wrap

Guest scrabster

Guest scrabster

hi all,just bought some exhaust wrap mainly to help with under bonnet temp,has anyone used this stuff and does it work or have i just wasted a tenner?

ive also heard that it improves performance a bit,is this right? whats the best way of securing it,on you tube one bloke wets it first then leaves it overnight and paints it with hi-temp spray paint.is that essential or just overkill? is it best to do all the pipes to the collector or just past where they exit the bonnet?

so many questions for one small job,thanks in advance.

jess.

I did my 2B manifold last year and yes it does reduce the temp under bonnet i just wrapped mine all the way to 4in to 1 join.

I secured mine with stainless ties each end.

Only advise i,d give you is it is horrid stuff to work with and will irritate your skin i had to throw my overalls away as they itched like hell even after washing also wear a dust mask.

Dan

hi all,just bought some exhaust wrap mainly to help with under bonnet temp,has anyone used this stuff and does it work or have i just wasted a tenner?

ive also heard that it improves performance a bit,is this right? whats the best way of securing it,on you tube one bloke wets it first then leaves it overnight and paints it with hi-temp spray paint.is that essential or just overkill? is it best to do all the pipes to the collector or just past where they exit the bonnet?

so many questions for one small job,thanks in advance.

jess.

I have used it on mine it seems to keep the heat down.

I wrapped s/s wire round the pipe and then tighed it to the wrap and then pull the wrap tight and over lap it about half its width I then follow the wrap with the s/s wire and tigh it of at the end.

the Idea is that it keeps the gasses hot so they move through the system I think its somthing to do with expantion but not sure.

I have wraped it untill it comes to the edge of the body.

When you start the engine it will smoke like a traction engine untill it burns of what ever on it.

smells too thats if its the same as mine

Yeah, knocked down my temp by 2 deg in the summer, just enough to keep the fan off most of the time.

I think the claims of improved performance is questionable and there are a number of claims that it can hold water and rust the exhaust

when cold (was that you Chris?) which sound feasible as they smoke a lot from cold.

I found soaking it in a bowl of soapy water helped to make it more pliable and cut down on the particles flying everywhere.

I ran out of ties and used chicken fence wire twisted with snips which still has`nt moved and is barely noticeable.

Andi

Guest ScotMac
Yeah, knocked down my temp by 2 deg in the summer, just enough to keep the fan off most of the time.

I think the claims of improved performance is questionable and there are a number of claims that it can hold water and rust the exhaust

when cold (was that you Chris?) which sound feasible as they smoke a lot from cold.

I found soaking it in a bowl of soapy water helped to make it more pliable and cut down on the particles flying everywhere.

I ran out of ties and used chicken fence wire twisted with snips which still has`nt moved and is barely noticeable.

Andi

Right...i would go w/ ceramic coating, instead of the wrapping. Has better engine bay heat reduction properties, and thus better exhaust scavenging, and will not hurt the exhaust. I got mine done for only $200 (US), and it was done about 2 miles from my house. I am sure you could find something in the UK, but no idea if price is prohibitive.

i have used it and had results in reducing engine bay temps ,

however it does hold water ask sir chris

and it will rot the manifold eventually , and stink when first started i thought i was going to choke to death .

if you can afford it ceramic coating i think ass scott says is the way to go .

graham