Rear Lamp

Andi

Hi all,

Back offside lamp is out, Ive tested the bulb which is ok then put a voltmeter (something Im not familiar with) on the working bulb socket and got something like

10.80 volts and on the non working socket about 20 mv.

Took the back wheel off to get to the plug in connectors to the harness, dont know what loom i have but the plug wires for that light appear to be brown and pink/white and there appears to be the same kind of reading coming from there too.

Question is where do I go next? Ive looked at the wires going from the switch stalk and it seems that i may have to remove the bonnet, scuttle and dash to trace these. Also Haynes doesnt say a lot about the stalk wires or how to test them, and as for the Haynes wiring diagram.. oh please!!!! Its another language.

Thanks

Andi

Guest chris brown

The chances are it won’t go to the storks but to a fuse and then a relay so check around your fuse box and relays. BTW it is common for the lights to just have one feed coming to the back of the car direct to one light then a link wire across to the second light so may be worth checking as it defiantly sounds like a bad connection.

Off side and near side lights usually run off seperate fuses, is the off side front side light working ?

if not then it'll be the fuse

Les

Funny you should ask that Les,

The only bulb working on that side is main "dazzle" beam, fronts are sealed units and there always seems to be a side light going after a few months.

I hope it is that simple.

Ta

It really is electrickery,

I got to the fuse box and removed each one in turn and cleaned the spades(as nothing seems to coincide with the sierra fuse box panel diagram)

I found one fuse knocked out the front o/s light, but none of them knocked off the n/s light.s.

I took the fuse panel out of the box and got scared by the masses of evil wires but they all seemed fixed in well.

Went back to the n/s working bulb and found it is a dual filament red bulb (even though it is driving light only , not brake) with electrical tape covering one contact, took the tape off as it was a bit shabby and re isolated it. Both rears now working fine.

While i was at the fuse box I took out all of the relays to try and find the starter motor one ive always wanted to check (I take it there is one?) but she turned over with every one removed. I cant see it anywhere obvious in the engine bay.

So now I am on the hunt for a fuse and a relay. :blink:

Guest chris brown
I took out all of the relays to try and find the starter motor one
There isn’t one as far as I know wire from solenoid goes direct to ignition switch where it is supplied with 12v on the start position. There is an inhibitor relay fitted to the automatic so it can’t be started in drive