A Question Of Stature

Guest Techmage

Guest Techmage

Spent last night , acertaining positions for seats, steering column, pedals etc, and have come to the conclusion the problems may just be that I's just not tall enough. It's a 2B pillar and I'm 5'8". Even with the seat (I tried 2 different types) pushed as far forward as it can go, I can't see I am going to be able to comfortably drive the car the stretch for the pedals, clutch particularly is just to much. The only way I can bring the pedals back is to remove the servo, which I realy don't want to. Servoless is Ok on the track but a pain on a roadcar. Anybody else found this problem or are you all above average height (5'9") ?

Guest peter2b2002

I had the same problem, moved the servo bracket towards the steering wheel 1 ",also lifted the front of the seat up 1" made hell of a differance

peter2b

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Peter

Get out the angry grinder, welder and some box section.

Cut the pedal below the cylinder push rod and simply make the pedals to suit your build.

I initially moved mine forward but when I canged the engine the pedals had to go backwards 2" to get the webers in.

Being 6'1" I had the reverse of your problem, so I just cut the ends of and re-manufactured pedals to suit.

Other option while you are early build is a floor mounted pedal box, expensive but will cure your problem straight away.

HTHs

I'm 5'9" and had a similar problem when I built mine. I pulled the pedals as far towards me as I could on the plate provided and even then I felt like I was half-way under the dashboard when the seat was at a comfortable position. To alleviate this I ditched the Robin Hood dashboard and made a replacement that I fastened behind the tubes (engine side) rather than on top of them. It's quite surprising how much difference that little bit extra room makes.

Iain

hi i have just changed to a floor mounted pedle box

it came from obp cost of £208 57 minus a 10 % rhocar discount

comes with all cylinders and for cable clutch a hydro is avaliable . full bias as well .

i can recomend them .

graqham

Guest robinj66

I might be missing something here but can't you just move the seat mounts further forward? If that causes problems with the steering column, that can always be compressed.

Guest salty_monk

I'm 5,8" ish & never had a problem with either of my hoods.

If you get Intatrim or Roadster 7 seats they are thin enough that you can get them a lot further forward than the stock seats.

Dan :)

Guest Techmage

Thanks for the responses, seems a consensus that I'm not the only one.

Seats are Corba's, fairly sure they are monaco S but as they have been recovered, I am not

positive. They are not yet fixed in, got them sitting on house bricks with the front lifted 30mm

higher, they are pulled right forward untill the tunnel widens for the gearbox, which put's me right

ontop of the steering wheel (which again isn't permanatly fixed), and any further forward and

I could have back seats aswell !

So it looks like either dump the servo and fit the standard pedals further

back or follow Grahams lead and mount floor mounted box (Graham any pics ? as the price seems good

for whats included) Am I correct in thinking that a bias setup will help reduce some of the loss

from the servo, due to the dual masters or will they purely improve balance adjustment ?

hi i have never run a servo on the lightweight so i cant say better or not , but it stoped ok on standard 1 cylinder

and passed sva that way the bias system is better as the cylinders are sized to differenciate between back and front

if you fit before sva or sorry iva you will i believe have to lock of the bias adjustment with a roll pin through the adjuster

so that the brakes are set for the test and apparently cant be altered .i am told that this can be made to look permanant when its not .

the prob with no servo is in the brain , it feels like it wont stop . but it does .

on the brake test at sva there is no prob with no servo , its in the head , cos you have to push the brake harder .

but it does give a better feel to the brakes when your bum gets passed the ohh bugger bit .

we are spoilt with moderen cars .

graham

Guest Ian & Carole

This is one of my favourite subjects :D

Having driven our hood over the dales with and without servo I really believe the car is safer without the servo.

You have total control over every part of the slowing of your car.

Stop quicker press harder.

Do that with a servo on a hood and you arrive all locked up with new pants required :o :o .

Many years ago when rallying we never had a servo and we are still here.