Sva D-day !

Guest mac801123

Guest mac801123

Hi All :hi:

I have my SVA tomorrow..... :shok:

I just hope the examiner likes my work....

Will drive it to Southampton test centre for 08:00 test, for them to tell me if it's safe to drive :blink:

If I get there I would think it's quite safe, If I end up in a tree then I don't think it was safe LOL

I'll Let you all know how it went..

Thanks Mike :good:

Guest mac801123

Hi Bob :hi:

I forgot to borrow your steering wheel... :fool:

The kit looks realy nice now and thanks for you help..

will let you all now how it went later.....

Thanks Mike

Guest mac801123

Hi All :hi:

Well after a good drive down to Southampton with a big grin on my face I was introduced to my examiner.

A very nice guy who was very impressed with the build, and very helpful.

I told him that I was unable to adjust the speedo and the engine was running a bit rich.

He said I could adjust them later and was very patient with me trying to sort them out (I spent 45 mins on the engine).

So first thing this morning, I arrived at the centre and my horn shorted out behind the steering wheel and went off! I could not shut it up!

Went into the centre and apologised for the horn :blush:

The examiner said later "he's just got here and he's blowing his horn, He must be in a rush" :blush:

Put the car on the ramp and checked underneath it.... A few loose wires and a fuel pipe that needs to be P-clipped.

Underneath was good on the whole so that was good.

Next was the engine bay which he liked, very tight and quite neat.

No problems there.

Lights were fairly good (the headlamps were too high so he let me adjust them) and the rear fog needs a wedge to take the top of the light away from the body (It was mounted on the body so was at an angle)

Brakes were good (after a 25 mile drive I thought they was good, as I didn’t end up in a tree).

Speedo was reading 25 when the car was doing 65 so needed to be sorted (took 5mins)

During the first run to test the speedo a water pipe popped off the thermostat and got him quite wet and very hot! :blush:

Fixed that and off we go again... Sorted.

Next was the exterior and interior protrusions....

Steering wheel was a complete fail, two switches need to be sorted, They want pics of the seatbelt mounts and the lower part of the dash needs to be adjusted to meet an 18mm radius (will take pics to show the problem).

The boot was panelled in so that was better however the seatbelt mounts were a fail too

The exhaust was a problem but not that bad and the front suspension needs attention ( and NO amalgamating tape is to be used! ) Bugger!

Noise level was good but emissions was crap and could not make them better.

All in all is was a good day just a few things to put right, so I am quite happy with the result.

At the end of the day they have a job to do and they want myself and others to be safe, and it made me feel much better about the job I did on my kit.

So get the problems sorted and take for a retest.

Guest Larson250

Hi Mike,

I have just about finished my Zero and I will obviously be testing under the IVA, when they can get there arses into gear, finalise the test and publish some guidelines.

However I am interested to know why your seat belt mounts failed.

Regards,

Dean

Guest boggybogstar

Hi Dean, you've obviously cracked on since we last spoke - hope you get to the IVA soon.

When I took my Zero to the SVA it was the same as Mike's, he couldnt see the bottom seat belt mounts because the seats and carpets covered them up.

I took my laptop with all my build photos on and just flashed up a few which satisfied him, he also asked for a photo of the chassis to see the way it was welded - so make sure you take as many photo's as possible !!!

Tony

Guest mac801123

Hi all :hi:

I got a letter from VOSA today (my fail sheets) Mark Greenfield my test exeminer sent it to me by post with a few helpful notes.

Fail Points

1. Anti-theft device not fitted. (the steering boss suplied with the kit will not lock the steering) :huh: Will drill hole in boss to let pin drop into when key removed.

5. A seatbelt fixing of inadequate strength. Evidence required to show sutable 8.8 grade or equivalent markings on outer lower seat belt bolts.

A seatbelt anchorage or the surrounding vehicle structure is of inadequate strength and likly to fail. Documentary evidence required for fitment of outer lower seat belt ancorages. Both of these can be put right with a few pics.

6. An interior design feature or fitting has a rough or sharpedge or a projection of 3.2mm or more likely to cause injury ie. having a radius of curature less than 2.5mm. relay box under dash. Cover with carpet that hangs down from bottom of dash and have velcro to hold it up.

A switch, control knob or similar device mounted on the instrument panel is not likely to retract or detatch during impact. Switches that protrude more than 9.5mm. Remove switches and replace with gromits to cover holes.

An instrument panel lower edge has a radius of curvature of less than 19mm, less than 5mm if coverd with non-rigid material (foam under the covering).

Will place carpet on lower part of dash and place under the dash to mount under the foot wells. (and cover the relay box)

A handbrake control has a contactable surface having a radius of curvature of less than 3.2mm. No handbrake handle on handbrake. Not arrived in post in time.

9.1 A rear foglamp fitted such that the reflector is not facing squarely to the rear. I fitted it on the body and did'nt fit a wedge behind it to make square.

Fit a wooden wedge behined it.

13. A hard part which is contactable with a 100mm dia sphere has a radius of curvature of less than 2.5mm.

a, Front light bracket edges. Fit trim.

b, Suspension edges on front (Tape is NOT acceptable to cover these parts) This means NO amalgamating tape. so need to fit other stuff.

c, Exhaust silencer brackets. Need to fit trim on bracket to meet radius.

d, Rear silencer (front and back edges). Need to fit radiused edge to front and rear of silencer.

e, Top seatbelt anchorages and bolts. Need to fit a FULL cap over and under the mount to make right.

13. A sheet metal edge not folded back by approx 180 deg.

a, Bonnet edges. Not returned edge in holes made for filter or exhaust.

b, Front steering and suspension aperture edges. I fitted the outer side panels then tried to fit trim but unable to do so due to tight fitting. Will put black silcone on parts.

c, Edges inside boot. Wanted to fit carpet to boot but run out of time.

14. A part of the steering control surface directed towards the driver which can be contacted with a sphere of 165mm dia has a radius of curvature of less than 2.5mm. Steering wheel spokes not 2.5mm radius. Need to fit cover.

15.1 When driven, the safe control of the vehicle is oris likley to be impaired due to a design or construction feature or characteristic. Steering has no self-centring action. I did'nt get a chance to set up the suspension and steering geomotry.

15.2 An electrical cable/wire conductor material exposed. Bare wires under dash and under bonnet. They are not conected to anything or any power but should have done them.

16.2 A brake pedal anti-slip provision not fitted. Need to fit rubber to pedals.

16.4 A hydraulic braking system not fitted with a red warning lamp or test facility. Unable to get the wiring to work properly so decided to leave till after the sva.

18. Fail emissions, excessive co, hc and lambda. I was unable to sort out the running rich engine.

All in all it can all be fixed in a couple of weeks, so not that unhappy about the result.

Will take pics of before and after of some of the problems I need to fix.

Hope I did'nt bore you too much..... LOL