Help Needed

Guest sparkt

Guest sparkt

Hi need some help to get my hood back on the road,

the problem is istarts up fine and wil run ie tick over for about 20 to 30 mins then it start to miss fire and slowly get more and more miss fire until the engine stops,then it will not start at all but if you leave it for 5 mins it fires up no problem again and runs for about 20 min until it al starts again and so on.

I have change the ciol.ignition module, new leads ,new plug,new carb,so have run out of ideas so need some ?

cheers

paul

Guest robin

hi, this topic will probably get moved to 'engine' but anyway,

what is the engine temp like as its idling/before it cuts out?

what engine and spec are you running?

obviously a problem occurring when it's reaching temp maybe hotter?

could be fuel vaporisation caused by heat from the engine bay while idling? what's it like on a run with air flowing over the engine?

have you checked the spark plug gaps are correct? i had a problem on one of my cars where the gaps were set too big and when the engine warmed up, the gaps opened more and the engine died - engine stopped/cooled down for five minutes and it would start fine again.

sorry for lots of Q's but need to narrow it down a bit. what have you changed lately to make it start doing this?

robin

Guest sparkt
hi, this topic will probably get moved to 'engine' but anyway,

what is the engine temp like as its idling/before it cuts out?

what engine and spec are you running?

obviously a problem occurring when it's reaching temp maybe hotter?

could be fuel vaporisation caused by heat from the engine bay while idling? what's it like on a run with air flowing over the engine?

have you checked the spark plug gaps are correct? i had a problem on one of my cars where the gaps were set too big and when the engine warmed up, the gaps opened more and the engine died - engine stopped/cooled down for five minutes and it would start fine again.

sorry for lots of Q's but need to narrow it down a bit. what have you changed lately to make it start doing this?

robin

engine temp norm ,2.0 pinto with twin choke webber ,plugs ok new

Guest sparkt
first thought

as soon as the engine stops pull the fuel pipe of the carb to see if it has any fuel.

woolly

fuel seems ok because youpump the acelerator pedel and you can see fuel squirt in ok

Guest sparkt
You havnt changed your fuel filler cap for a smarter one that is not vented by any chance have you?

Mike

No same cap for the last 4 years

Guest woolly

might be the wrong sort of newness

the wrong voltage coil will run for about 20 mins then overheat. is why i thought of it

woolly

Never assume new things work corectly....

If thats what you changed just befiore it started playing up, go back to the old one (s)

I'd check overheating of coil/dizzy/ECU (or module) first.

Then fuel starvation etc.

Bob

Guest sparkt
Never assume new things work corectly....

If thats what you changed just befiore it started playing up, go back to the old one (s)

I'd check overheating of coil/dizzy/ECU (or module) first.

Then fuel starvation etc.

Bob

this all started before i replaced things

Guest Bazwaz

If you used a silicone sealer anywhere near the tank chances are it's become a gooey mess and partly clogging up the fuel pick up. A common problem.

Baz