Heavy Breathing

Snapperpaul

My engine is ejecting oil from any place it can, mainly top end via rockercover gasket and even through the bolt threads.

Take out the dipstick and oil will shoot several inches high.

Undo the breather pipe from the block and you can feel it chuffing so not blocked.

So i deduce preasure in the sump and the rockercover, but what are the possible causes?

Is it rings? or can there be other causes that i can adress before changing engines?

Jess, i am suffering similar problems with my bike carbs, seem to be dumping so much fuel that the oil pressure goes down in a matter of weeks.

Going to check compression to see if the rings are leaking then get the carbs set up properly

Do you remember writing the above last November? If you had heavy over-fueling you wash the oil off the sides of the bores and suffer accelerated wear of the rings and bores leading to loss of compression, gas blow-by and excessive crankcase pressures. It is a possible cause. Compression test and repeat with some 5ml of oil down each bore. If the oil lifts the compressions significantly it's good evidence of ring/bore wear.

Nigel

(Memory? No came across it by chance looking back through Jess' posts about overheating but thought it may be relevant.)

Have addressed the over fueling problem and have re done the breathers, compression test was low but if block not decked with V6 pistons then that could be OK.

Yep need to test compression with a bit of oil in, i think i am just avoiding the obvious.

Second running engine ready to pick up so should solve the breathing problems, oil pressure much better since redoing all the pipes but may need to convert to Jic fittings.

Electrical issues driving me nuts at the moment but could be a combination of alternator wiring /plug problems and the known problem of megajolt VR sensor bracket not solid enough.

At this rate i will be ready for winter.

Have addressed the over fueling problem and have re done the breathers, compression test was low but if block not decked with V6 pistons then that could be OK.

Yep need to test compression with a bit of oil in, i think i am just avoiding the obvious.

Second running engine ready to pick up so should solve the breathing problems, oil pressure much better since redoing all the pipes but may need to convert to Jic fittings.

Electrical issues driving me nuts at the moment but could be a combination of alternator wiring /plug problems and the known problem of megajolt VR sensor bracket not solid enough.

At this rate i will be ready for winter.