Started On The Button.

Well the ST170 is in. Spent most of the day remaking the engine loom and connecting it all up. Then just add throttlebodies, fuel rail, plugs and water. Started on the button on the silvertop map and ticks over at 900 like it should. Small fuel hose leak, blew out some air from the rad and that was it. Idle up to 95C and fan cut in. Spins up with a dab of throttle but a bit late to rev it much.

Better buy it some tax tomorrow and try a gentle test drive. Need to book mapping session ASAP.

Nigel

post-21-1244234252_thumb.jpg

Brilliant news;what a quick recovery from your rip-out --- could you post a pic of exhaust manifold - passenger side - looking for layout ideas - intend to go over the top as yours does.

quick recovery from your rip-out
As a retired gentleman in possession of both bus-pass and leisure I took a trip to Halfords this morning for extra wire and heatshrink tube and spent the afternoon sitting in the sun unwrapping splicing and rewrapping the loom. Finished at about six and then had very little to do to prepare for start. Most difficult bit was deciding what map to load. Standard blacktop, tuned silvertop or ST base map that Omex kindly sent me. As it idles like a kitten on the silvertop map I may just enable cam switching and see how it runs. I know a standard blacktop runs like a dog on this map so we shall see. Probably try them all, with and without cam switching and see what's best. Wish I had a wideband lambda fitted so I could get it roughly right.

Exhaust was a GBS zetec model made for the lightweight. Had to extend it by about 100mm so it would clear the side rail. Pipes are too narrow for the ST ports but it will work for now.

Nigel

post-21-1244248211_thumb.jpg

Cross fingers and ebay. Still don't know if this engine is a good one as I have only had it idle. Does seem to have slightly high crankcase pressure. Not many ST engines being driven by grannys. Most will have been thrashed I expect.

Nigel

Engine mounts are firm rubber so the engine moves very little. There is 1" at the closest point to the chassis rail and about 3/4" around the pipes as they come out through the bonnet. While trying the bonnet on to measure this I see the front of the cam cover over the cam switching valve fouls the underside of the bonnet so it will have to have a cutout to clear. Rats.

Nigel