My Card Has Been Skimmed

Andi

Got a letter from Nationwide this morning stating unusual activity has been monitored on my account.

So in a fit of panic I grabbed the house phone to ring them and of course the phone had been left out of its

cradle and was flat. Back up plan was to use the mobile, again flat. So I began charging up both phones and

went on the internet to look at my account. It all looked fine.

Finally after 20 mins phone was charged up enough to use. It appears 2 transactions of £30.17 and £120.71

had been made from a cash point in Indonesia?????????

I explained I had never been there. They said they suspect the card was copied from a machine here in Leicester

and details are then sold abroad. They have suspended my account and I have to wait 10 days for a new card which

is a major pain in the *ss.

Thing is I ALWAYS look over a cash machine before I use it, check for mirrors and even pull the card slot cassette.

These people are so good at what they do, If only they would go straight and build kits, I reckon they would be flawless :D

Guest sritony

yeah they are very good, I was watching the one show and Dominic Littlewood who preaches card safety had been done twice by ID theft!

My credit card was done by 2 transactions in america and HSBC were fantastic at getting my money back! they are quite quick on catching it these days they are finding the main problems in them chip and pin in shops now because they are installing devises on them to registar your details then just go to a country that doesn't need Pin and use your card!

Guest Larson250

Your card was most likely skimmed at a garage in Leicester it's been rife for about 3-4 years now.

Be careful especially if they take your card off you to put in the machine or accidentally drop it!

Don't let it out of your sight / touch.

dean

Your card was most likely skimmed at a garage in Leicester it's been rife for about 3-4 years now.

Be careful especially if they take your card off you to put in the machine or accidentally drop it!

Don't let it out of your sight / touch.

dean

Nice one Dean, its enough to make a guy paranoid..

Last weekend I did fill up twice as the hood is only doing about 80 miles per £16ish (full tank) and at one

station I put my card in the reader in front of me and the guy said 1 minute and popped into the back for about 20 seconds

Hmmmmmmm!

Guest Ian & Carole
Nice one Dean, its enough to make a guy paranoid..

Last weekend I did fill up twice as the hood is only doing about 80 miles per £16ish (full tank) and at one

station I put my card in the reader in front of me and the guy said 1 minute and popped into the back for about 20 seconds

Hmmmmmmm!

Andi

That one is worth talking to the Police about IMHO, could save others hours of heart break and a few quid also.

Have done so, and the operator didnt seem surprised.

Its this one (bear in mind all petroleum companies and their loyal staff are innocent until proven guilty)

Shell Trocadero, Uppingham Rd Leicester

Guest Alasdair

A few months ago this happened at our local garage. The postie said he had been delivering new cards to most of the village. It is possible that the foreign staff there were under pressure from terrorist organisations back home to skim the cards.

I think they used a second scanner under the counter and a roof camera to catch the PINs. My wife has got so good at hiding her PIN now she can do it with her hand completely covered.