What Extra Bhp Do Cams Give Fr 32/33 Or Similar Piper

speedtripledan

just wondering how much extra a cam would give to my pinto, looking at all poss ways of more power. wondering if its worth the expense. looking at maybe zetec power but that looks about £2300 quid odd to get to 175bhp.. Not sure its worth the money to gain about 45hp more than i,ve already got. with a car thats prob worth £4000 is it worth spending over half that on an engine conversion ?

Guest mcramsay

why bother with a pinto? its 25 years old, and believe me you will spend around 2 grand getting it reconditioned and changing the internals to make it take the extra power, atleast with the zetec you have a strong engine with a pretty good power base already, you get good power from bike carbs wich is around £500 to do, or throttle bodies which is more expensive but could be worth it, the zetec will take over 200 bhp before you have to start changing con rods and pistons and things. and for a brand spanking new one from GBS for 700 quid why waste the money on a pinto? if the cars worth 4 grand then with a zetec it will be worth even more! just my view on it!

My last RH was rolling roaded with FR32 with twin 40s and no head work at 130BHP. I would say the 40s did over fuel a bit and it would have been better on 38dgas or standard carb. You say your already at 130bhp already but standard pinto is 105BHP and injection pointo is 115BHP, what tune of engine do you have.

Jez

Guest scrabster

the piper 270 cam adds 15bhp but dont forget the old efi has been taken off loosing how much?i ditched the efi system as it looked a bit complicated for me so went with piper cam and bike carbs.rolling road this saturday next to gbs factory so will post results some time at weekend.

jess.

Guest salty_monk

I had a stock injection with 38 DGAS - Aldon ignition with modded advance curve, Piper 285 cam - 99bhp at the wheels (around 125bhp). I didn't ghave a vernier pulley fitted but you should get one. I may have got another 5-10hp with that. You can't really get any more without doing head & valve work. You will get about an extra 10hp with 40's (but fuel consumption will drop = bike carbs may be better)

If you deck the head 1mm for a bit of extra compression you may get a few more HP too.

It's serious money to get 165hp from a pinto & that's about as far as they go for a road engine. You'd need 2.1 block, slightly higher CR, big valves & ported head, FR33 Cam, 45's or bike carbs & your bestek ignition.

Dan :)

Looks like my pinto is bl**dy good already. Injected head/vernier pulley/blade carbs/bestek fast road ignition 130bhp on the dyno not worth the expence of a cam by the looks of it.

Think i might just look for another car with a tuned zetec and sell mine might be cheaper certainly easier.

Thanks

Guest salty_monk

All Dyno's are different (loads of things affect the read including tyre pressures among other things) but I'd say you have a pretty good output right now. You might get another 10hp with a cam if you're lucky but you may lose some low speed tractability...

Dan :)