Technically Challenged

Big Jim

Just a point of interest regarding people thinking that Caterhams are the 'originals', wasn't the original Lotus 7 based on the Austin seven special which is basicly an austin 7 with a home made light waight body on it.

They used to be done by ametures in there garrages in the 1950's then Lotus made a copy of it called the Lotus 7, we're all a clone of somthing.

You're quite correct Guy. Colin Chapman rebuilt a 1930 Austin Seven Saloon into a special and called it a 'Lotus' The original Austin 7 chassis was strengthened by triangulated tubular construction to make it rigid & light. (according to the history books)

I think that if you start telling the present day Catering van owners (& the Scottie dog drivers to a degree!) that they're driving a kitcar, they'd have a heart attack! :lol:

Guest mkeats02

Big Jim,

Less of the insults to professional people, I'm doing a degree in Accountancy and Colin R is also an accountant!!

From what I understand Caterham charge approx £2000 extra to put the car together, a guy I spoke to at Goodwood festival of speed worked for them and he said they are really easy to build and you couldn't possible make a mistake, so by all accounts they are easier to build then technic lego models!!

Mike

Less of the insults to professional people, I'm doing a degree in Accountancy and Colin R is also an accountant!!

WHY?????? What makes 'professional' people exempt????

Just because your maths and ability to fiddle the books is better than some of ours, doesn't make you exempt or put you on a higher plane.

Guest mkeats02
We have to remember Guy's, these people are Accountants, Lawyers, Doctors, Pilots and such, not grease monkeys like wot we is. 

That is not my point, you are saying that these rich people have no mechanical skills what so ever and i am saying that tthis is not the case as several of the RHOCAR members (who are in fact building their own cars) are professional prople, you were the one that distinguished the so called higher plane with the above quote.

Guest Andy Rathbone

ooh whats this handbags at dawn? if Jim made so called proffesionals exempt from abuse and micky taking that would be discrimination and we cant have that.

from my personal and limited life experiences, i have found the less able you are the more you have to pay as a general rule, not forgetting with money brings choice.

ding, ding, seconds out :D

Mike, you are a very sheltered young man. It is FACT that the majority of Caterham owners are not into getting their hands dirty, they are paid (note that I didn't say 'earned' !) more than they are worth, so can pay for someone else to do that type of work for them. Because they can pay for it, and think that £750 is not a lot of money to pay out for an exhaust, they don't need to get their paws dirty, so they won't learn anything about mechanics. That's not to say that they are all like that, there are some who are genuine 'tinkerers' and could build any kitcar, especially those that go into the racing side of it on a budget.

You only read what you want to, I said the majorityare technically inept.

As with Robin Hood Owners, the majority are mechanically minded (in fact I'll go further to say MOST are.)

Guest mkeats02

Jim

I understand your point that most are technically inept, that is fine but it sounded like all!!

I have met the caterham lot in the new forest, and one did look down his nose at me for building a hood, hence the word building, he just told me how expensive they are and I could have one, one day!! Not that I want one mind you!! Most of them were old farts with R500's and i bet they never even get out of 2nd gear!!

Carry on with the insults to the caterham owners that is fine, i'm not defending them!! I am defending myself and Colin R and whoever else is a professional person with a hood!

Mike

Mike, you obviously have a persecution complex. go back to the begining and read ALL the posts, remembering that one post is usually an answer to a previous one. It didn't take Steve (Bloke) long to see what was happening. :)

you're going to have to lighten up. ;)

Just because your maths and ability to fiddle the books is better than some of ours, doesn't make you exempt or put you on a higher plane.

Jim,

I've been an Accountant for almost 20 years now and I still can't add up without the calculator. My wife still believes my Vauxhal conversion is costing £350.

Richard

Guest Battery Bill
I am defending myself and Colin R and whoever else is a professional person with a hood!

Surely everyone is a professional person, no matter what they earn or do!

I have been an aircraft technician for 27 years and am a qualified computer engineer and have an NVQ in Electrical installation but I still would rather be building a Robin Hood than a Matchbox "Catervan".

are professional prople, you were the one that distinguished the so called higher plane with the above quote.

Was it you or Colin R who took the speeling course? :lol: :lol:

Guest flightless

Big Jim, As a moderator i would expect you to be able to keep your cool when others are shouting and bringing the board into disrepute - passing comment on another group maybe childish but not unacceptable - however attacking another board member should be beneath you.

If you can't do this maybe you are in the wrong role.

One question are these posts going to disappear as well - it wouldn't be the first time.