Wheel Offsets For The Zero

Thrashed

Hi all. I am a newbie builder and have come to the stage of trying to get the car on some wheels. When I bought the kit I think the off set needed to be et15 but sierra off set seems to be et35! Which is correct? Any help is appriciated for a confused.com builder. Thanks Steve

Hi. As best as I know the offset is the measurement from the back of the wheel that butts against the brake disc and measures how far out it sticks. I have tried a few different wheels from puma to focus but they all foul the shocks and wheel arch mount. I considered spacers but the centre hub is not long enough. Cheers Steve.

Guest woolly

et come home. having a spot of bother with this myself.

what wheels do you have.

i can tell you that my minalite look alikes are 14x6 et35 and sit well in the arch. but trying to find similar is a real pain. most are less offset normally aimed at FWD cars.

be interest how you get on.

woolly

et come home. having a spot of bother with this myself.

what wheels do you have.

i can tell you that my minalite look alikes are 14x6 et35 and sit well in the arch. but trying to find similar is a real pain. most are less offset normally aimed at FWD cars.

be interest how you get on.

woolly

With the et35 off set do they rub on the shocks and clear the wheel arches?

Hi

from what ive read you should find that the seirra has a fwd offset when compared to the older rwd's like the cortina. I had standard sierra steels on my 2b which sat in closer (et35) than the Alloys i was kindly given by pwlscars which has an et of 45. As long as it clears shocks etc its not too much of a problem. Thankfully i had positioned my front mud guards in such a position that it still covered without a problem and the rear arches are now filled better. The alloys were just a standard ford alloy for the seirra.

The only other thing is that the further out from the hub you go the more leverage you get on the wishbones. It may only be slight but it must mean that the car will sit slightly lower etc. It will also put more strain on the bearings although this doesn't really apply as we've lost so much weight compared to the seirra that i doubt it would be anywhere near the strain of a normal seirra even if you have quite a bit outset.

hth

Guest woolly

mine has rear coil overs and clears can't remember by how much.

anybody know what the standard RH wheel are.

i can find nice et38 and would be cheep but was told that its not a 3 mm difference ? more like 12mm so really stumped now.

have a look at the superlite web site for more offset info

woolly

I have a set of steel wheels from a sierra with ET41mm. The alloys RH supplied me are ET32mm. The offset is a measurement between the centre of the rim and the mounting face of the rim. Positive offset means the centre of the rim is inset, closer to the car than the mounting face of the rim. Negative offset means the centre of the rim is outset, further from the car than the mounting face. Sierras run positive offset and mine gets away with 41mm on a 6J(152.5mm) or 32 on a 5.5J(140mm) rim. Now as the centre line is in the centre of the wheel strangely enough, only half the rim is between the centre line and the car. Add (or subtract the offset to find where the edge of the rim ends up. With my alloys its 152.5/2 + 41 = 117.25 inside the mounting face of the hub. With the steels it's 140/2 + 32 = 102. The inner edge of the alloy wheel rim comes 15.25mm closer in to the car than the steel. There's only 3.25mm difference with the outer edges so no problem with the arches. The centre of the tyre is 9mm further out with the steels which does have a slight effect on steering effort.

Chris, if you buy the same size rims, ie 14 x 6J but with 38 offset the edges move only 3 mm outward. Zero effect on arches or handling.

Nigel

Guest phil howard

I went for the maximum negative offset for the 'deep dish' look. I have posted pictures on my blog site (14th Apr)- see link below. The only issue was that GBS had to cut me wider rear arches.

FRONT

WHEEL

Manufacturer: Minilite

Model: MA1570B

Size: 15x7 ET[-]6

TYRES

Manufacturer: Avon

Model: CR500

Size: 195/45/15

Rolling Radius = 288.5mm

REAR

WHEEL

Manufacturer: Minilite

Model: MA1590B

Size: 15x9 ET(-)30

TYRES

Manufacturer: Avon

Model: CR500

Size: 245/40/15

Rolling Radius = 293 mm

Guest phil howard
Hi all. I am a newbie builder and have come to the stage of trying to get the car on some wheels. When I bought the kit I think the off set needed to be et15 but sierra off set seems to be et35! Which is correct? Any help is appriciated for a confused.com builder. Thanks Steve

See attached info.

http://www.raceandroad.com/offset.asp

http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/htmlpages/TechWheels.htm

post-3716-1245136338_thumb.jpg

I have a set of steel wheels from a sierra with ET41mm. The alloys RH supplied me are ET32mm. The offset is a measurement between the centre of the rim and the mounting face of the rim. Positive offset means the centre of the rim is inset, closer to the car than the mounting face of the rim. Negative offset means the centre of the rim is outset, further from the car than the mounting face. Sierras run positive offset and mine gets away with 41mm on a 6J(152.5mm) or 32 on a 5.5J(140mm) rim. Now as the centre line is in the centre of the wheel strangely enough, only half the rim is between the centre line and the car. Add (or subtract the offset to find where the edge of the rim ends up. With my alloys its 152.5/2 + 41 = 117.25 inside the mounting face of the hub. With the steels it's 140/2 + 32 = 102. The inner edge of the alloy wheel rim comes 15.25mm closer in to the car than the steel. There's only 3.25mm difference with the outer edges so no problem with the arches. The centre of the tyre is 9mm further out with the steels which does have a slight effect on steering effort.

Chris, if you buy the same size rims, ie 14 x 6J but with 38 offset the edges move only 3 mm outward. Zero effect on arches or handling.

Nigel

Thanks nigel. This really helped. Just one other question. Do the wheels need to be 14"?