Battery Starter Power

Guest yellow peril

Guest yellow peril

Hello all - what battery will be ok to turn the old pinto - is a 360 starting rated battery ok -

i thank u - chucked old ones out and can't remember what i bought before

hi i have big battary from halfords about 90 quid 540 amp throws over with easy starts first punch and a four year garantee as well good all round try getting a trade card from halfords as a amiture builder

no info on battery but i just replaced cap and rotor arm, gapped plugs and cleaned the carb through and it starts so much better than it used to and i guess in the long term will make your new battery last longer as it will have to do less work. just a thought if you havent done this recently already :)

Guest yellow peril

cheers folks - just wondered how hefty a battery needs to be when all the electrical car gubbins has been ripped out, checked out capri batteries and they go from a 360 amp, sierra more like 500amp,

Edited by yellow peril

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi all

I am just running a STD Sierra batery "037"? from my local factors.

1st one lasted 5 years, just changed it last month, £32.00 with 3 year garantee.

Seems a good deal to me, when you think we have very little power consuming lectricery on our cars, windows aircon etc no longer there, big battery really a waste of money and a massive weight gain.

Some use a race spec. light weight battery, Nigel, Longboarder, for one.

After all it's only needed to start the car!!

Guest yellow peril

didnt want to put some hulking great battery in the front, as like Ian & Carole (who arent too far away from me!) say its only turning the old lump over. Every guide gives a different battery power for a sierra type cars for some reason - but i presume most of em just want to sell you the biggest battery possible

There are 2 things to consider when deciding on the battery. One is obviously the cranking power, the batteries ability to deliver current (Amps). The more amps it can deliver the faster the engine will turn. A bigger engine require more current for a given compression ratio but assuming everything is in good order then the basic 360 amp battery would be fine even for a 2 litre engine.

But the other issue to consider is battery capacity measured in Amp Hrs and is measure of how long a battery can deliver a given current, i,e, how long can the battery turn the engine for or how long it will last not being driven before going flat. If you drive your car everyday then a big capacity is not required but if you drive your car only occasionaly then a big battery would mean its more likely to turn the engine over after along period of not being driven.

Why do battereies go falt if the car is not being run? Well, some cars have a small current drain form things like clocks and alarms, and the battery has an internal resistance which means some current flows through itself consuming enegry.

Guest zoomzoom

Go for a tyre 063 or 065 battery, (these have the round terminals not the flat terminals favored by ford back in the day)

I have a 065 on my zero (just happened to have this size in stock), its a bit big and gives great cranking power and fitted the battery box just fine.

marcus

(waiting, waiting, waiting, in the dvla office)