Car Cutting Out,?

Guest charlie

Guest charlie

Had an embaressing moment wed last in heavy traffic with the temp running high, my 2b /2ltr pinto on twin 40/s

and a fast cam decided to missfire and then cut out completely, thanks to a convenient lay by i was saved

further embaressment, i looked under the bonnet no obvious problem, let it cool for 5 mins and it started again,!

still missfiring occasionally but i got home ok. i suspect the coil breaking down.(one of the few things i hav`nt

replaced) but any suggestions greatfully recieved.

thanks in anticipation Charlie,

Guest charlie
Sounds like the fuel might be vapourising under the heat. Get some big vents in your bonnet and an electric fan.

Thanks Tim, i have all of the above, but have fitted a bulk head over the rad to try and push more air

through the rad, maybe i have only made life more difficult for the engine air flow will try again

without the bulk head . cheers Charlie,

Guest charlie

Looks like you are on the right track lads, i have removed the bulk head and checked the plugs,

back two carbs running weak, have replaced the plugs and set the carbs up again although the back two are

still pulling more air there is a big improvment, maybe moving the rad further foreward into the nose cone

is the way to go?

thank for the help, charlie

although the back two are still pulling more air
Always a good plan to fix the problem if possible. Clever workarounds should be a last resort for when the actual problem isn't fixable. If the back two carbs are pulling more air you need to improve the balance. Modify the linkages if needed. (Not sure if this is adding to the problem unless they are running weak.)

Under bonnet high temperatures can only be improved by reducing heat input by lagging the exhaust, produce less heat by running richer or more advance, improve cooling efficiency, help hot air to escape from under the bonnet or add cold air under the bonnet. If all air entering the nose is already ducted through the rad and can then escape from the engine bay moving it into the nose does not change anything.

Nigel

Should add that you can lag fuel pipes or set up a flow circuit like on injected cars so fuel itself is cooler but this is a workaround too.

Guest charlie
Always a good plan to fix the problem if possible. Clever workarounds should be a last resort for when the actual problem isn't fixable. If the back two carbs are pulling more air you need to improve the balance. Modify the linkages if needed. (Not sure if this is adding to the problem unless they are running weak.)

Under bonnet high temperatures can only be improved by reducing heat input by lagging the exhaust, produce less heat by running richer or more advance, improve cooling efficiency, help hot air to escape from under the bonnet or add cold air under the bonnet. If all air entering the nose is already ducted through the rad and can then escape from the engine bay moving it into the nose does not change anything.

Nigel

Should add that you can lag fuel pipes or set up a flow circuit like on injected cars so fuel itself is cooler but this is a workaround too.

Thanks Nigel, the exhaust is lagged, and additional vents fitted to the bonnet last year,so i am a bit peeved to be

getting these problems especially as there had been great improvment with the vw polo rad etc fitted, but they tell

me it`s all part of the "fun" i now need to get it right for Barkston on th 18th.

there was an improvment with setting the carbs up again and removing the bulk head, thanks for the help.

p s the wife says to take Bob up on the pipe work offer so we can extend the central heating for next

winter, (she`s not into cars) need you ask?

all the best Charlie.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest charlie
Thanks Nigel, the exhaust is lagged, and additional vents fitted to the bonnet last year,so i am a bit peeved to be

getting these problems especially as there had been great improvment with the vw polo rad etc fitted, but they tell

me it`s all part of the "fun" i now need to get it right for Barkston on th 18th.

there was an improvment with setting the carbs up again and removing the bulk head, thanks for the help.

p s the wife says to take Bob up on the pipe work offer so we can extend the central heating for next

winter, (she`s not into cars) need you ask?

all the best Charlie.

One final note Nigel, the fuel pump has given intermitten pressure on our way back from Barkston last sat,

only able to limp into service station before calling on the AA relay to get us home,(quite an eventfull day.)

but maybe that was the problem?,

thanks again, Charlie

Guest bettinson2005

i also had this type of prob on way to barkston :unknw: when mate said that we needed to clean the filter in the fuel pump??? never knew it had one?? he then removed the nut on the top of pump took the lid off and pulled a filter out :o to my shock the pump was full of only what could say was rust from tank? so we cleaned it all of then put back together . and car ran sweet :yahoo: must be worth a try? i now have a filter befor the pump and one after hope this helps carl

Guest charlie
i also had this type of prob on way to barkston :unknw: when mate said that we needed to clean the filter in the fuel pump??? never knew it had one?? he then removed the nut on the top of pump took the lid off and pulled a filter out :o to my shock the pump was full of only what could say was rust from tank? so we cleaned it all of then put back together . and car ran sweet :yahoo: must be worth a try? i now have a filter befor the pump and one after hope this helps carl

Glad my problem was on the way home, we had a great day till i bent it on the last timed lap!!

we checked all the filters just in case but nothing too horible, so a new pump it is,after i have staightened a few bits

and pieces,

cheers Charlie,

Charlie, it's not a Facet pump with the facet pre-filter on it by any chance. I have written several threads about the evil facet pre-filter. They block quickly and stop almost all the flow. Best mod for that is a 6mm drill through the filter medium. That's what I did to mine and it's worked a treat ever since!

Nigel

post-21-1248380344_thumb.jpg

Guest charlie
Charlie, it's not a Facet pump with the facet pre-filter on it by any chance. I have written several threads about the evil facet pre-filter. Best mod for that is a 6mm drill through the filter medium. That's what I did to mine and it's worked a treat ever since!

Nigel

It is a facet solid state pump but i havn`t found a filter as yet so i fitted an inline glass filter

easily visible near the carbs in the engine bay. but when i get to look at the pump i`ll check it out.

thanks again Nigel,

Charlie,