Possible Newcomer

Tazzzzman1

Got into big trouble with my mother yesterday. Took my father to a local car show on Sunday. He loved the car and really admired the handling, left him with the grin factor...Him being a major bike nut and fast and in his later 60's.

He made the remark later that day that he would love a kit car but would have a V8 in it. That night I found one on ebay to show him they do exist.

Got home from work yesterday to find out he was on his way to Brighton (300 mile drive!!) to look at the Westie with a V8 I showed him. Phone call last night to confirm he had bought. A steal at £5K (Westie with new stainless chassis, stainless suspension, new body, new rebuilt 3.5L V8).

Trying to get him to become a hoodie now!

Guess I'll be off my mum's Xmas card list for a few years... :vava:

stainless chasis on a westie,?????, ummmmm do you mean suspentions chromed, as far as i know westfield have never done stainless only rhood,

and 5k for a v8 westie, sorry to put downer on it sounds cheap,

we need pics and more info

Mitch

Guest bettinson2005
:yahoo: love him already and only net him once V8 nice :lol: but we dont want him to put us to shame :( might have to fix his hand brake so permanently on :lol:

Hi Mitch,

Yes it does have a stainless chassis and suspension. Car is 15 years old but has recently totally been rebuilt, including a special stainless chassis. The guy had spent approx £10K on the rebuild over the past 18 months (engine has only done 30 miles). Car was owned by the original owner who has had to sell due to ill health. Car seems totally genuine and is in mint condition. Guess the old man has got a real "bargain". :good:

Will try and post a few photo's soon.

Andy,

If he does come to one of our meets it will be a long drive (he lives near Southampton). He surpised me on this one, so you never know..... :unknw:

I'd be suspicious that it's maybe a dead Westfield's identity on a Robin Hood - buyer beware in a big way.

Although I seem to remember that Robin Hood advertised stainless replacement chassis for Westfields at one point (early '90s I would think).

Have you got the item number from ebay or a link and we can maybe cast our eyes over it and see if we can spot anything that might save him making a several thousand pound mistake? It could also be worth talking to Westfield themselves - a chap here at work recently bought one and spoke to them a couple of times to confirm details before he actually took the plunge. I was quite impressed with the service he seems to have recieved from them since the sale was nothing to do with them and the only thing they stood to gain was maybe some business in parts from him in the coming years.

Iain

Any chance it was item number 250448671971?

If so then it does specify that the chassis is a one-off so it might be a home-made one which would be OK from an identity point of view but he'll have to watch it very carefully for stress fractures. There were some horror stories about the normal mild steel chassis cracking not too long ago and stainless is only ever going to be more susceptible to this sort of thing. If it's a stainless copy of the original chassis then I'd be wary.

Iain

Hi Terry,

really dont want to upset anyyone, it maybe comlpletly legit, but check and double check,

I hope so, jut the old addage, buyer beware,

Good Luck

Mitch

Guest combatsapph

Oh no, not the infamous stainless steel chassis Westfield :-(

Sorry to be he bearer of bad new but it's a deathtrap waiting to happen imo. Chassis and suspension parts which are subject to fatigue should not be made out of stainless steel.

It's been discussed to death on the Westfield forums and everyone is of the opinion it's one to steer well clear of.

Edited by combatsapph

quote name='ibrooks' date='Jul 1 2009, 08:46 AM' post='183455']

Any chance it was item number 250448671971?

If so then it does specify that the chassis is a one-off so it might be a home-made one which would be OK from an identity point of view but he'll have to watch it very carefully for stress fractures. There were some horror stories about the normal mild steel chassis cracking not too long ago and stainless is only ever going to be more susceptible to this sort of thing. If it's a stainless copy of the original chassis then I'd be wary.

Iain

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the input into the stainless chassis worries. :good: Got my father to check all details raised. Yes you are correct it was that one advertised. The chassis was manufactured by Westfield and has been tested/ strengthened in known stress areas. .All bills and correspondance tally.

The rest of the car is also looking very legit as my father has spoken to Westfield and confirmed the car's pedigree.

There are a few small jobs left to do, however for a little over 5K hopefully looks like he has dropped on a bargain. The old man's been around the block once or twice when it comes to car's so did'nt think he would miss anything, never harms to check though... :hi:

A few photo's below of the car

post-2721-1246462466.jpgpost-2721-1246462112.jpgpost-8-1047150338.jpg

post-2721-1246462474.jpg

Guest chris brown

Coincidence or what? Had a call from a mate today asking if I would call round his garage (work) on the way home so his boss could try the 2B for size as he had been and had a look at the stainless westy but couldn’t get into it (a long trip Cambs to Brighton only to find he didn’t fit) the 2B was fine for him. He has now found a V8 2B but it is sliding pillock so have warned him it needs to be the right price to cover conversion as his aim is to have occasional track days for the lads (how come I never had a boss who did things like that wherever I worked).

Guest salty_monk

Looks good to me. Stainless chassis will be ok if they used the right grade... (but will rust a little if it is like the RH ones do...)

Just keep an eye on it for stress fractures & repair / re-inforce as necessary.

Looks like a pretty killer deal to me.

Dan :)