Coil +

speedtripledan

where is this usualy fed from as ive noticed at night when i have all my lights on i get the ocassional stutter which never happens without lights so there must be a voltage / current drop to the coil

i will just wire a new feed and ditch the old. one not tested yet just curious before i have a go

Cheers

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mutley

Are you using a donor dashboard or making your own?

I've had one where the donor dashboard (Sierra) has copper tabs over a plastic "spine" and the plug pushes on to it, clipping in at the sides. The copper tabs had worked loose from the backing with moving the scuttle, and two (or more) had crossed, shorting out. Fortunately, this only caused a positive feed to both sides of the coil, which meant no spark, rather than smoke and ash, and no car!

Check your connections to your dashboard, and also check your earths. Your headlights draw over 4 amps each, so they need a decent earth. If the return (that SHOULD be earthed) is finding its way back to the coil, you'll get no spark...

Depends on how your loom is set up but a good ignition live should feed to the coil. As heads should be wired for power via battery live it should not upset the coil with them on unless voltage drops with them on. Check alternator output, battery condition and clean connections to and from the coil. You may have ignition live power routed directly through the ignition switch or be using itto switch an ignition live relay. Check and clean these routes. Finally battery terminals, pos to fuse box, neg batt to chassis and engine, engine to chassis.

Nigel