Indicator Repeaters For Iva

Guest jwts

Hi,

Now the IVA won’t accept repeaters on the body of Lotus 7 lookalikes I’m looking for other solutions. GBS said they had some thin LED based repeaters that looked OK on the front wing so I bought them sight unseen. ‘OK’ must have a different meaning for GBS than me as I think they look ugly, much too wide for the side of the front wing. They could look OK if I could make a rubber mount that would match the curve of the wing to the flat back of the repeater but I don’t know to do this.

I have seen the ideal repeater for the front wing (LED based about 1cm wide by 4cm long) but it was on the side of a nearly new Lexus and I suspect the price would be eye-watering :mellow: .

Another option would be to use mirrors with built in repeaters like some new cars have but are they available for kit cars, what would they cost and are they IVA acceptable?

Has anyone fitted mirrors with built-in repeaters? Did they pass SVA/IVA?

Has anyone any ideas about where else to stick the repeaters (nothing crude please :D ). I did think of sticking them each side of my crash helmet but I guess IVA would consider that a bit frivolous.

Thanks for any info.

John (jwts).

Guest loopyonion

Thinking these for the solution, plus they are E marked.

Clicky...

Only question is do they show enough in the reflection?

I have tiny raceline mirrors on mine now, and i reckon they are too small.

With the new IVA Rules, do we have a clear idea on where to mount front indicators?

I was considering putting some side repeaters directly where the screen would mount on the sides of the vehicle, as i dont want a screen just yet, and the previous owner has made a little mess drilling there for when he fitted the screen.

Would that solution work?

not sure re the repeaters on the mirrorrs , i have them and they appear to work , re the iva , i think the reapeters still have to be on the wings , or front mudf guards as that is the outermost point .for iva inmho .

graham

Guest loopyonion

After a brew, and some thought.. LED mirrors wont work for IVA as the LED's are directional, so wont be able to be seen from behind.. just the side and front.

Looks like i am drilling my wings.. which i dont want to do.:(

With the new IVA Rules, do we have a clear idea on where to mount front indicators?

I was considering putting some side repeaters directly where the screen would mount on the sides of the vehicle, as i dont want a screen just yet, and the previous owner has made a little mess drilling there for when he fitted the screen.

Would that solution work?

Loopyonion,

The position for the front indicators is the same spec as it was for the SVA, its the position of the repeaters that has changed.

The IVA Manual does not say where to mount the side repeaters only where they should be visible from. In section 20, page 4, Figure 1, its shows they must be visible 5 degrees out from directly behind (the side) to 60 degrees out, and in section 23 it says they must be visible from 15 degrees above and 15 degrees below the horizontal (unless they are less than 750mm above the ground in which case it is 5 degrees below). They must be at least 350mm above the ground.

So they can be invisible from the front and even from 90 degrees out on that side as long as they are visible from behind.

I have been thinking about mounting the repeaters on the scuttle but am not sure yet if it will fit in with the requirements above. Will do some measuring later. For wing mirrors with indicators to act as repeaters the lamp would need to be on the end visible from the rear as well as the front. All the ones I have seen so far are only visible from the front.

Thers's a copy of the relevent IVA manual at http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repo...%20May%2009.pdf

John (jwts).

Guest loopyonion

Going to fit them on the wings for now, then move them later. I will use the most minimal method possible. I absolutely hate them on the wings, but we must please vosa for a few hours eh?

• 3 weeks later...

For my SVA I didn't want to drill for same reasons. Got some stick on led repeaters from A1 motor stores, designed to wrap around the corner of a wing mirror at £4.99. Stuck them to the outer rear edge of the cycle wings, tuck wiring into edge finisher and wire into front indicators. Dunking in hot water before fitting helps mould to wing profile. Really bright and E marked.

Guest loopyonion
For my SVA I didn't want to drill for same reasons. Got some stick on led repeaters from A1 motor stores, designed to wrap around the corner of a wing mirror at £4.99. Stuck them to the outer rear edge of the cycle wings, tuck wiring into edge finisher and wire into front indicators. Dunking in hot water before fitting helps mould to wing profile. Really bright and E marked.

Nice, I shall go and purchase some ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Spanner man,

Do you have a picture, description or part number of these LED repeaters?

Thanks,

John (jwts).

B) I have just bought some Ring M-Lites from ebay £6 inc P&P, not fitted yet as still building.

They have adhesive backing and can be bent slightly to fix on curved surfaces

2 banks of 8 leds in each lamp very bright B)

cheers Paul

B) I have just bought some Ring M-Lites from ebay £6 inc P&P, not fitted yet as still building.

They have adhesive backing and can be bent slightly to fix on curved surfaces

2 banks of 8 leds in each lamp very bright B)

cheers Paul

Paul,

I can't see any Ring M-Lites. Do they look like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=370265732945

If so I have bought similar but now I'm wondering if they should be E marked? Looking at the IVA manual I can't see anything that says they should but I know brake lights and fog lights have to be E marked. Do yours have an E mark?

Regards,

John (jwts).

I was talking to a guy who had failed with a haynes roaster yesterday at chadderton ,the tester told him he couldn`t have the light on the moveing mudguard and suggested he put on the the rear wing towards the front as long as its within 2.6 metres of the front indicator. hopefully Adrian will be along later to explain better as he is a rhocar member.

Must be worth a phone call to the test station before drilling any holes

Dave

Hi John

Yes mine are e marked. do a search on ebay for:

ring m-lite

them put tick in the box:

Include title and description

then hit search button

4 sellers on at present

Photo of M-lites

also recently seen a Zero with normal single bulb repeaters on cycle wings that went through IVA ok (failed on other items)

Cheers Paul

post-3784-1254510803_thumb.jpg